Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upper steering column .....

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

For a non detacheable wheel 😬

I don't need the wheel boss, just the upper column with the steering lock sleeve on. Anyone got an old one lyeing around, condition totally unimportant? I'll even take a bent/damaged one if the steering lock section is ok *thumbup*

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Gary, David, Mark, Elie, many thanks for all the responses *thumbup* It is actually only the lock section (slotted-sleeve) that I need so probably easiest to take yours Elie if it's lyeing around? I want to add the locking sleeve to my detacheable column - I did this on my last 7 and it just gives a little extra peace of mind when leaving the car unattended.

Elie, YHM *thumbup*

Stu.

• Leadership Team

Ric, my last 7 was originally supplied with a non-detacheable wheel. When I fitted the new upper column some years back i was disappointed that I was loosing the steering lock facility - my opinion was "fine for a track car but not for the road"! I discovered that the steering lock is provided by a plunger from the ignition barrel, inserting into a long slot in the column when the ignition key is removed - the slot is created by an additional sleeve tack welded to the outside of the column - it actually has 2 slots, 180 deg opposed.

I ground off the welds securing the sleave to the old column, then anchored it to the new column using two heavy duty roll pins inserted in holes I drilled through the new assembly.

It worked superb and gave over 5 years of good service up to selling the car *thumbup*

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 24 Feb 2007 14:42:48