Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bolting on new cycle wings

Nifty

Dear All,

Just looking for any advice and tips for bolting on my new cycle wing. Having lost one the other weekend that was bonded on, receiving a firm blow to the nut on the way passed, I have decided to bolt the replacement one to the struts.

What size hole do I need to drill into the fibreglass for correct fitting of the rubber grommit?

What precautions do I need to take when drilling fibreglass, do I drill from inside (rough) to outside (smooth) or vica versa?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nifty.

Nifty,

Before you drill the new ones might be worth a chat with Chris at the Seven Workshop. He's bonded on loads of wings, including mine and may have a few tips on how to get them to stay on.

For what it's worth mine have been bonded on for 6000+ miles including 10+ track days and a trip through a gravel trap at Goodwood and are showing no signs of coming off.

Say hello from me if you give him a call.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Support Team

drill the holes with a 5mm bit (use masking tape to stop skidding and a very low drill speed. Do the top ones first then drill the holes in the bottom stay.

Mark the wing through the bottom holes and drill small (I used 1.5mm bit) pilot holes in the wing from the underside. This then gives you the right spot on the outside from which to drill the holes without spawling the gelcoat.

rob

Don't.

Bond them on - they look infinitely better that way and are tough as you need - in 5 years I haven't had one come off.

If you search the forum you'll get all the info you need on the product(s) to use, and also some tips on making them easily removable (at your will rather than the wind's).

Another thing that Caterham ought to consider as std. fitment IMO.