Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Lights

John E

Suggest you leave braking as late as possible at all times. that way, you will be pushing hard and the brake lights will come on!

No one should be that close to a Caterham anyway!

Tony Stattersfield

I had the same problem. With my Caterham being an older model it has a kind of presure switch built into a brake pipe, a better replacement for this cost a few quid from J Whiting. I noticed that newer Caterhams have a small switch which is located at the top of the brake pedal so that when the pedal is at rest it is pushing the switch. Once the pedal is pushed (even only a few mm) it releases the switch and the brake lights come on - a much better solution but, it probably doesn't help you.

John, if yours is a newer car, (whatever that means) then as Andrew says, there is an adjustable switch. It is part of the pedal box arrangement. Bonnet off, ally box thing above the footwell, take the cover off, and all is obvious. While you're there, you can play around with the pedal arrangements. You'll think you have it just right after a fair bit of twiddling; jump in the car and go for a spin, and at the top of the road you'll realise you have it completely wrong! It is worth fiddling with though, and I find heel and toeing much easier now.

Thanks guys. The car must be classed as an older model cos its 1990. There is certainly a junction type thingy on top of the pedal box with wires coming out of it. this must be the switch that Andrew refers to. I'll give James Whiting a call and get the replacement. The adjustable system sounds good but looks like I'm stuck with bleeding the brakes.

Nick,

How have you moved the pedals to accomodate heel and toe ? At present on my R500 I have to rest the instep of my right foot on the brake and use the outside lip on the accelerator.

I'm used to full toe on the brake and most of the heel on the go pedal, but don't reckon there's anywhere near enough space in a 7 to do it properly.

Any advice most helpful !

Cheers,

Robin.

Ha ha!!!!!! ha ha. Some stupid bastard almost ran into the back of me and after an altercation!!!! said your f!!!!!g brake lights arn't working. They f ing well are I said. They f ing well arnt he said. And so thats how I know that we were sort of both right. Anyway Andrew are we going to Croft even if the heavens open. I reckon we should. See ya Sunday bright and yawn early.

Edited by - John E on 7 Jul 2000 20:13:50

Robin

It should be renamed "ball of your foot-little toeing" in a 7. From that description you can guess it's more of a rolling action. Set your brake pedal, way higher than the loud pedal, so when braking, the brake pedal comes level with the loud pedal (still following this?) and you can roll your foot across/brush the throttle. Ahh, down change heaven.

I like to feel a lot of brake pedal, so have made an extension to the pedal(width), only about 10mm, but does make a difference. At this months area meet, someone was saying that he had seen several race cars with extensions on their throttle pedals. much the same thing. It's not a 911, you are used to changing gear in, is it? That's where I learned. One more thing, left foot braking is impossible - unless of course, you have the feet of a balerina (spelling?)wink.gif

Edited by - Mark Giles on 7 Jul 2000 23:17:08

If the brake lights don't come on people behind you on the circuit will think you've got more guts than them and try leaving their braking later & later & later and ????

Your circuit cred could go right up!

Robin - what are you doing with your lip on the accelerator - sad bloke kissing his own pedals!

Mark,

Thanks - that's exactly what I've been doing, but I find it difficult unless I'm really "lying down" low in the 7. I honed the heal and toe technique on my Scooby Doo which has got pedals the size of King Kongs first dump of the day in comparison. It's reassuring that I haven't got the pedals incorrectly set.

Nick, thanks for the help anyway.

Anna, fanaar fanaar - we've missed your humour - been on holiday ? And what 7 have you got - everyone keeps adding anecdotes insinuating you're a fast driver (lights blue touch paper, stands well back)? wink.gif