Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake fluid reservoir

rynicolson

How does it come apart?

I have a leak of fluid between the plastic reservoir and the casting (2001 K car)if that makes sense... what is the easiest way of draining the reservoir without draining and having to bleed the entire system... or ain't that an option?

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

You will have to drain and bleed as you will probably have to take the cylinder off the car.

If you have a cast iron cylinder there is probably have some corrosion between the rubber seal and the fluid resevoir.

The reservoir plugs into the cylinder through some rubber seals. On my old cylinder it was held on by a couple of large cap head screws.

You will need to remove the reservoir.

Rynicolson, I hope the leak is not the result of a crack at the bottom of the reservoir. If you pull the reservoir out the mastercil. with the brake fluid in it you could get away without bleeding, but it will be a messy job and brake fluid is agressive on paint so make sure you have enough rag's around the reservoir.

you dont have to remove the cylinder to take of the tank suck out fluid with syringe or washer hose clean or replace seals wash tank with warm water in sink

dry with kitchen roll and make sure all dry the tank pulls out of master make sure that it pushes all the way home when you refit it

fredid=blue> smile.gif

Thanks for the input... I think it is the seal between master cylinder and reservoir, not a crack. Will try the "syringe" idea first... as for corrosion, this has leaked since the car was built last summer so I'll be well p***ed off if it's corroded.

Tricks

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Yep. I can confirm that mine leaks....always has done, always will do....

As suggested it helps if you drop the level a little and I have put an elasticated hair 'bungie' around the filler neck to prevent any drips.

The bungie was my daughter's, not mine, being a baldy old git, I don't need one! You can even colour co-ordinate them with you car!

Andrew

If you are using a conventional brake fluid it is quite hygroscopic and the water it will have picked up since last summer will probably cause quite a bit of corrosion under the seal. The fluid puddles in this region and there is quite a good contact area to pick up water. I had a cast iron cylinder leak in this area last year and it corroded quite badly in 3-4 weeks.

Good luck with the syringe. I would think bleeding the brakes, which should only take about 10 minutes should be a lot easier and safer.