Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Faulty crank sensor

jackb_ms

Hi

I have a little problem with my car, it won't restart.

I had a trial fit of my roller barrels and everything went to plan.

When I finished refit the induction to my car, i started the engine and it n for a few second but a it rough, and there was some smoke coming from the exhaust.

I turned it off made a few checks, and now the engine will not start.

I have checked that I have pretrol and I have a spark on all the cylinders.

When I was fitting the RB I had to disconnect the crank sensor, could that be a possible reason why it's not starting now?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Jack

Emily, The Very Yellow 21

I have to explain a bit more.

My project is fitting RB to my VVC, the engine will be controlled by and emerald.

I wanted to make a trial fit to make sure I had all the right bits, which I had, apart for the back plate which is fooling one of the chassis members.

So I re-feted the old VVC plenum and reconnected everything. Started the engine which run quite rough, turned it back off, made some checks and now nothing happens.

The engine turn over but won't start.

Jack

Do you hear the whirr of the fuel pump? Could you kave knocked the inertia switch?

Check the wires for TPS and CPS as suggested. If you run an Emerald there is a LED that's supposed to come on when it has recognised the crank pattern.

Are you able to connect a PC to the ECU?

/r

RJ

I'm not yet running an Emerald, I'm running the OEM ECU.

I'm just back from more test and poke around, and cylinder 2 and 3 are firing, their respective exhaust are very hot, and 1 and 4 are stone cold.

I have check the spark and two nice spark.

There is a strong smell of unburnt fuel as well which could indicate that the injectors are working properly.

I will have a look at the inertia switch tomorow, where is it situated usualy?

What else could I check?

Jack

On the bulkhead, but it won't be it if the engine is running at all. Ot the exhaust gets hot.

Is the engine EU2 or EU3? Sounds like you could have broken a wire for the injector drive?

You could try to remove the plugs from the injectors and fit a LED with a 470 ohms resistor in series. If it flashes, the injector gets its pulse. If not...

I'll try that tomorow and see what happen

When I was refitting the old plenum, by mistake I disconected the coil pack. the lead going to the spark plugs.

Could I damaged something if the spark plus where firing in the wrong order? 😔

Jack