Click here if you are having website access problems ×

When to swap to Fully Synth Oil?

philwaters

With my car finally hitting the road and me planning to get the running in over as soon as possible, possibly by the end of the week (I hope), wondering...

I am running some standard Halfrauds 5W/30 oil but when shall I change to the good stuff (planning on Shell Helix Ultra). The first oil change will be done at 500 miles - shall I change to it then, or will this prevent it getting fully run in?

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

Hi Phil. I went strait onto f/synthetic further to advice that this was ok. There seems to be various schools of thought about whether this is the right thing to do. Have a word with James Whiting who might tell of some horror stories that changing oils can do on k series by degenerating filters! Iv'e had no problems in 9k miles. The local Rover dealer suggested using semi/synthetic only. Good luck.

Thanks Mike,

I know you shouldn't mix mineral and F/synth in a K or VX due to the baffle, but I don't have one in the Zetec. I am more worried about not allowing things to wear in fully by using the good stuff too early.

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif