Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Pillar bolt on K automatic cambelt tensioner

John Vine

I've just changed the cambelt and automatic tensioner on my 1999 Supersport-R (mileage around 39K). When I came to remove the tensioner, I was shocked to discover that the pillar bolt (the one that locates the tensioner spring) was loose and at least halfway out of its hole. The last time I was poking about in there was when I retimed my verniers (about 9K miles ago), and the bolt was definitely tight then (and hadn't been loosened or removed since new).

Is this a known problem, or am I just unlucky? Either way, I hate to think what would have happened had the bolt got tangled up in the belt. *eek*

If only it were that simple, the tapped blind hole is in a different place

Later heads have both, I understand. Mine has the auto tensioner hole tapped out to accept the manual tensioner - as a result, I have to run the longer belt...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Thanks for the feedback, chaps...

the devils spawn
Excellent! *smile*. But what's wrong with it, exactly (apart from the pillar bolt)?

If you use Loctite on the bolt it will never come loose.
Good advice, Rob -- I did just that on reassembly. But why wasn't the original similarly treated, I wonder? It seems to have been designed specifically to trigger an expensive "moment."

Later heads have both, I understand.
What exactly is "later" in this respect, Myles? EU3? Will my EU2 take a manual tensioner as-is?

JV