Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hideous Rattle on Start Up with Zetec Engine

Super_Rich_Bernie

Apologies for posting this not strictly 7 related question. I hope some Zetec experts may be able to help.

My Ford Puma is 18 months and 40,000miles old. It lives a hard life. Recently on starting it up there is an almighty rattle. It disappears after a couple of seconds.

Is this likely to be tappet related?

The oil is the standard issue Ford type and doesn't need topping up.

The other thought was piston slap - but i'd expect that to take longer to die down. It's not burning oil either so I guess the bores are Ok (and so they should be at 40000miles)

Any other ideas.

I don't want to get fobbed off by the 'they all do that' line from the dealers so would like some background before I take it to them.

thanks

Jonathan

It sounds like the oil is draining out of the followers and it is taking a few seconds to 'prime' them again. Pistons would be all the time I'd have thought.

The cure, however, I do not know. I thought it was down to the oil grade, but if you haven't changed it....

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

It sounds more like a big-end to me..

Try leaving the engine for 3-4 minutes, then re-start, if the rattle appears then it less likely to be a follower..

Didnt the later Zetecs have solid followers?, doesnt the Puma use the Zetec SE?

Dave

Edited by - oilyhands on 26 Mar 2002 15:20:31

Thanks for the advice folks.

Big Ends??? good thing its under warranty!

Wouldn't they be worse under load though.

I'm not sure what Zetec it is - 1700cc. It has variable cam timing.

It has an hour a day of crawling through London traffic, and an hour a day of rush hour M4. Its had a good few trips oop North and to Scotland where it gets driven hard. Not the easiest of life, but still should do more than 40,000miles i'd think.

Just pleased i'm not going to have to pay for it. I assume engine bearings aren't classed as consumables in the warranty.

Jonathan

The death rattle is usually heard first at startup when the bearings are dry, if the oil pressure is very good it can mask this to a certain extent when the engine is running. The next stage is hearing the rattle under load. If you want oknow if its oil pressure related, disconnect the fuel rail connection or similar and crank until you have oil pressure, then very quickly re-connect and start immediately, if you have no rattle then its oil pressure related.

Oily

Jonathon

Gave the Seven a checkover last evening, 250 miles since fitting the Zetec. Started the engine and there was a new rattle, not hideous, not metallic but I switched off and searched the engine bay in case anything was loose, nothing. At that point a beautiful assistant came into view, good old Dad, he who loans me his spare garage. He listened whilst I started the engine and immediately spotted it was the cam belt inside the top plastic cover. It disappeared after about 5 seconds, guess I need to check the belt tension tonight. Its only a thought but could it be the same for your Puma.

Paul