Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 Speed oil

Red SLR

As I will be using the 7 a fair bit this year I want to change the gearbox oil.

Any ideas what brand to use, how much of it do I need.

Also is there any specific process to go through to change the oil?

Thanks

Simon.

X777CAT

Simon

Suggest the first thing you do is turn the car upside down to drain out the old oil!!!

There is no drain plug on the normal 5 speed gearbox and I assume the 6 speed is the same.

Its not normal to change the oil, merely to top it up. Even this is very tricky with limited space to drain plug. If you need to borrow a modified allen key and an extended filler bottle I can lend to you.

I don't think changing the oil is necessary, but if you really do want to change the oil (or even just top up) it may be easier to remove top of gearbox and use a pipe to syphon out the oil and simply pour oil in to appropriate visual level.

Caterham recommend 'Ford 5 speed gearbox oil (part number 1045737 from Ford)' for the six speed box.

Capacity is 2 litres (but should be filled to level plug, which will probably be slightly less than 2 litres in view of residual oil).

There have been quite a few posts on THE oil to use for the 6spd.

Key criteria from memory are 80 grade, mineral oil. No synthetic, no multigrade.

Shell used to do it but I think no longer do. I believe Castrol do it, and am certain Comma do too.

Quick search will reveal all.

Hi all, be really careful with what is 'recommended', as in the build manual and what you should use. My build manual states any synthetic oil is good for a 6spd, which is i'm reliably informed rubbish. I bought some of the ford stuff, using the quoted part number, but they had changed the oil relating to the code number. It caused all sorts of problems. I now use EP80 GL4 grade. No problem since.

Cheers

Andy

• Area Representative
I filled my new 6 speed 'box with the Ford oil, as quoted in the assembly guide (1045737), but it was not RED but GRAY(ish). the change is good but I've only done 400 miles and don't have any thing to compare it with.

caterham technical data states comma sx75w-90 semi synthetic for 5 and 6 speed box i changed mine to this last month and find it very good so far nice and smooth change under fast conditions a good way to change oil is to use a washing up bottle with large bore washer hose on the end you can pass the hose down from under the bonnet in to gear box level plug hole the sixspeed box has a very easy drain plug on the bottom passenger side of box

fredid=blue> smile.gif

Edited by - FRED on 26 Mar 2002 20:45:31