Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Balance

SPW

I have recently purchased my first seven - bog standard 1.6 Supersport - and find the rear brakes seem to lock up prematurely under hard braking. Is this normal or do I have a problem and if so any clues?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Your probably not going fast enough - try going faster, braking hard and you should find they lock up later :-)

The above was a joke !

Seriously I found that compared to a "normal" car the sevens brakes where harder, but muh more powerfull. Its therefore easier to lock them at slow speeds, but they work great at higher speeds.

Could this be an explination (i.e your just not used to more powerfull brakes - appologies if that sounds assumptive and rude!)

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

SPW , look in the archive and you will see lots about this. Usual cures are softer front pads, or more perminantly a brake balance valve(about £150 fitted)or more powerful 4 pot front brakes (asuming you have the standard two pots). Some cars have this problem worse than others though

Thanks for the tips - looks like a balance valve is the way to go in the long term.

Greg - I know the feel of the brakes on a Caterham are very different to a standard road car but it is the balance between front and rear that is causing me concern, under hard braking at any speed the rears lock up much too early before the fronts seem to be working very hard.

Thanks

Steve