Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Valentine's Day Present

Mike Oxbiggar

Are vacuum cleaners good at leaving newspapers on the floor then?

wibble

🙅🏻‍♂️Schizophrenic Cagey says 🙅🏻‍♂️

I am a man of many personalities
How else could he explain his multiple *evil* usernames? *nono*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Pedant

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Pedantic)

Jump to: navigation, search

A pedant, or pædant, is a formalist or precisionist in teaching or scholarship. The corresponding female noun is pedantess. The term comes from the French pédant (1566 in Darme & Hatzfeldster's Dictionnaire général de la langue français) or its source Italian pedante "teacher," schoolmaster, pedant. (Compare the Spanish pedante.). The origin of the Italian term is uncertain. The first element is apparently the same as in pedagogue, (a teacher) etc.; and it has been suggested that pedante was contracted from the medieval Latin pædagogantem, present participle of pædagogare "to act as pedagogue, to teach" (Du Cange); but evidence is wanting. The Latin word is derived from Greek terms for "child" (παιδ-) and "to lead" (αγειν).

The term is typically used in a negative connotation, indicating someone overly concerned with minutiae and detail and whose tone is perceived as condescending. When it was first used by Shakespeare in Love's Labour's Lost (1588), it simply meant "teacher." Shortly afterward, it began to be used negatively. Thomas Nashe wrote in Have with you to Saffron-walden (1596), page 43: "O, tis a precious apothegmaticall [terse] Pedant, who will finde matter inough to dilate a whole daye of the first inuention [invention] of Fy, fa, fum"

[edit] Usage of term

Being referred to as a pedant, or pedantic, is considered insulting. However some people take pride in being a pedant, especially with regard to the use of the English language. In an attempt to avoid censure, people who wish to make a correction often preface it with "not wishing to be pedantic, but ..." or "without being a pedant, ...".

I took a fence to that statement *mad*

🙅🏻‍♂️Schizophrenic Cagey says 🙅🏻‍♂️

I am a man of many personalities
How else could he explain his multiple *evil* usernames? *nono*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Cagey

Last response before I attend the meeting in the Courtfield....

Being referred to as a pedant, or pedantic, is considered insulting

I think that

Being referred to as w@nker is considered more insulting

Don't you???! *tongue*

The Handbag's tucked up in the garage!

Now - where did I leave my sheep? *wink*

If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower!