Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Head Gasket

allen

I've a Zetec in my 7 but my lad has a K reg 1600 K series in his rover, which has a small amount of oil in the water.

Is this likely to be a head gasket failure?

How difficult a job is this, are special tools etc. required?

Thanks in advance for any help,

allen

...and while the head is off it would be silly not to etc, etc wink.gif

btw Peter, the engine is nicely run in now and I think the cam timing is spot on performance wise. Noticably more torque than both the BaT Superlights. It still "hammers" quite a bit and the oil pressure was dropping to around 3bar after a 20min session (whereas your engine seemed to stay stuck at 4bar no matter what)

Yes Dave I'm sure that was it wink.gif

However when I spoke to Peter before I mentioned that the engine didn't feel quite as responsive as his, though it was being run in then and not going over the 4K rpm limit. He said that we could alter my cam timing to match his engine, but now that it's run in I think that it's fine as is - assuming the hammering is OK ?

The cams are standard Supersport ones though, unless someone sneaked some different ones in there ? I believe Peter rang you to get the optimum cam timing settings when we set it up the first time round ?

Oh and there's no chance of SWMBO allowing such a purchase at the moment sad.gif

Ah.. yes he did.. I remember, so the chances are that you are running with a lot more overlap than the SS cams normally run with and the head has had a lot of work so it will tend to give a bit more hammer than most.

Just hope the hammer is acoustic and not mechanical..

Oily