Click here if you are having website access problems ×

7" Superlites

Robin C

According to my maths a 7" Superlite wheel with the recommended offset of 6mm will stick out of the rear wheel arches. Can anybody with a set of these confirm this and if possible send me a picture? - or if in Worcs, Warks or Glos I could visit.

Cheers,

Robin C

Richard, how much did it cost to you?

I am envisaging to replace my 6" 14" rear wheels by 7" 13" for the reason you just mentioned: they must fill the wheel arches nicely.I was planning to keep my 6" 14" at the front.But I have a problem since the A021Rs I am currently running do not exist in 205 60 13. Too bad!

Pierre

Geoff,

You've obviously decided 7" wheels fit ok.

I'd like to see some before I commit to an order. They are already quoting 10% discount to club members and I think the price is good - I doubt theres much scope for further discount but we could always try!!

I just purchased 2 13x6 and 13x7 inchers from superlite direct..with 10% club discount.

The 13x6 wouldnt fit over my 4pot calipers :-) and i didnt like the fact that the wheels with acb10's stuck out of the rear arches.

So i bought 4 13x6 incher minators from caterham, and will sell the superlites

Anyone interested ?

The original 1400 K Series Roadsport Prototype

My Caterham Website

Edited by - 1400rs_0of30 on 26 Mar 2002 12:59:19

I can't remember what i paid but it did include a 10% discount.

I think it was just under £600 for:

two 13x6 with 185/60 AO21Rs for the front

two 13x7 with 205/60 A021Rs for the rear

Price included delivery and VAT

They bolted straight on with out any adjustments.

I didn't have any problems fitting (standard brakes) and have to say I've been very pleased with the upgrade.

Much better grip and ride than my previous 16" wheels with 205/45 Michellins

I have to say it didn't really occur to me that the 7" wheels would not fit under the rear arches so I'm glad they did!

I have 6" superlites on the front and 7" on the rear. The wheels themselves dont stick out of the arches but the tyres (Yoko 32R 205)do a little bit.

I have standard front brakes at the moment, but will be swapping to the caterham big brakes in the future.

Has anyone else tried fitting the superlite 6" wheels over the caterham big brakes, do they fit or not?

1400rs_0of30 - I had to put some spacers to get the 13*6 superlites to fit over the big calipers at the front, but now they fit fine

I have some 13*7 with slick minators as well that I put on the rears and these do not stick out at all

rob

Thanks Robin. I was thinking that 205 60 13 A021Rs were not available based on DT's catalogue.

Two other questions please:

-Would 3-piece wheels from Superlite or Image be an option to keep the flexibility of modifying by half an inch the width in case the 7"wheels would not fit? I figure such wheels must be significantly dearer.

-Is the concept of having 14" front wheels and 13" rear wheels bad ?

Cheers,

Pierre

Hope this helps rather than confuses...

I bought some split rims from Superlite last year (they call them ultralites) - 6x13 and 7x13 for the rear with 205/60 032's. They were not cheap (but rather less than the Caterham or MB alternatives) but I am v. happy with the quality and finish.

The 7" rears are flush with the arches and look good to my biased eye! The fronts fit over big brakes with no worries - this is on the offsets recommended by Superlite.

at frist glance they are very similar

the main differnece is that the 'spokes' in the superlites are deeper (ie they protuded outwards more) than the minators, and the subsequent pocket behind them is deeper in the superlites

unless you put them next to each other it would be hard to tell IMO

rob