Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailering and tie-downs

mike ashurst

I'm trailering my seven to Curborough for the sprint

and it's not only the first time I've sprinted,

but also the first time I've trailered.

Any advice re tying the car down to the trailer,

i.e. how many straps/location of straps, and any

other trailer advice, would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Slightly nervous,

Mike

Mike,

I use four tie down straps with wheel hoops. I've never had the car move with these. The key thing is to stop and double check the straps after you've driven for 10-15mins as the car and straps seem to settle and sometimes need re-tightening.

Also if it tips with rain worth double checking them again as they stretch quite a bit when wet. I've had one come undone completly when it got wet.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Mike

I strap down all 4 corners and hook up the winch, it may be a bit belt and braces but you don't want it coming through your back window!.

My straps came from Brian James TraIlers they are medium load and have the proper straps to enable the main strap to go behind the wheel and a joining strap around the front about £80 for the set of 4, you can get them from Macine Mart for about £50 ultimately you end up with 8 tie down points

If you havn't trailered before, try and get some practice reversing before the event! sod's law will determine you'll have to reverse in to your alotted area in the paddock with 100's of people watching!

Lastly check your towing car owner's manual they will give you both a min and max weight at the towbar, too light and the trailer can wander around, too heavy and you could do damage to tow car, how you weigh it though god only knows!

Anyway they say a picture paints a thousand words so look here

http://www.collinsclan.co.uk/straps/index.html

Click on the thumbnails for a larger pic

Rob

I was out taking the photos when you posted your reply!

Edited by - F355GTS on 25 Mar 2002 12:08:50

Hehe... just not quick enough Mark smile.gif

On another note from the photos it looks like you're storing you're car on the trailer?

I've done this with mine and over the last year or so the trailer is getting marked mainly around where the tyres sit. Nothing serious just thought I'd mention it as your trailer is brand new and spotless!! (at the moment....)

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Rob

I do store it on the trailer......and that's why I'm at home today cos I buggered my back last Thursday getting the 7 off so I could drive it ot the office!

To be honest the trailers filthy already after driving back from Brands the other week

Are you doing Goodwood on Saturday?

I used a strap at the front and a strap at the rear using the towing eyes as primary things. No problems in two years. It's probably better to use the wheels/tyres, but cycle wings and stuff can get in the way, and I only had two straps...

FWIW leave the car out of gear when you're trailing it.

Paul

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !

Whilst on the subject, I note that the article in Low Flying recommends accelerating to slow down a snaking trailer.( i.e wandering from side to side trying to steer the car ).

AFAIAW both the Caravan Club (what do they know ?), IAM and advanced driving courses recommend gentle de-accleration (no braking) until the snaking stops.

Comments ??

The HMMMMMMMMMMMM was not a relflection upon the Blat chat comments rather the Low Flying article.

(Although in my book it would do no harm having the hand brake on (assumming you've got one (not a race car) and leaving it in gear. The less the load moves about the better.)

I remember braking suddenly and and watching a Cossie gently slide up the wet trailer towards the rear window only to be stopped by the jockey wheel handle !!

On the general subject of towing I would agree that if the trailer starts to snake slightly gently back off the accelerator(but don't use the brakes).

Also I find if towing a Minno (as I do) when positioned the car on it place a block of wood in front of the front wheel so the number plate is in line with the front edge of the trailer bed, this makes the trailer far more balanced rather than pulling it all the way to the front on the winch.

Hope you find it useful

Graham

cool.gif1700 Live Axle X/Flow, got the engine upgrade now all I've got to do is try & beat the rest of the guys up the hill!!!!!id=red> cool.gif

Whilst on the subject, I note that the article in Low Flying recommends accelerating to slow down a snaking trailer

Tony, what I actually said was "attempt to accelerate .... progressively and calmly smile.gif

In the limited space available in the article, I maybe didn't make it clear. However, despite what some books say, years of experience has confirmed this as the only way to regain control. I am assuming several factors though. Firstly, the driver will have created enough space in front that slight acceleration is possible. (if you tow leaving the sort of silly following distances that we see every day, then you can't possibly have enough room.)

I am also assuming that the "wiggle" is not a self-enduced situation caused by coarse or harsh steering, incorrect nose weight, bad loading or over exhuberant driving for the situation. If the trailer starts to snake, the tail starts wagging the dog. By applying a slight amount of momentary and smooth acceleration, the connection between the units becomes taut. As you are driving forward on a straight course, you will pull the trailer back on to a straight course as well.

Many years ago on the M6 I was travelling (as a passenger) towing a large twin axled caravan at around 50mph and I noticed a coach was closing on us very quickly. I was fully aware of the possible suction that would occur as he passed. The driver asked what they should do. I told the driver to take a firmer grip on the wheel - the expected turbulence then affected the unit and although it had a top-of-the-range stabiliser fitted, it started to pull the back of the car very much off-line and towards the back end of the coach and then sharply towards the hard shoulder. Smooth power was applied and it stabilised the two units. Once straight and under control, the driver applied gentle braking and the units returned to the correct course.

It is my firm belief that if we had braked during this severe snaking situation, the caravan would have probably flipped over - and we've all seen the mess that follows.

It really is essential that drivers who are towing, concentrate and take even more notice of what they are passing or what is about to pass them!

Hope this explains what I was trying to say!

Best wishes

Hugh biggrin.gif

Twenty years of regularly towing trailers and quite a few of driving big trucks has taught me that both gentle acceleration or gentle deceleration can help a wobble. If one doesn't work try the other. Whatever you do, don't start yanking at the wheel to correct it.

In terms of tying down, always put any spare straps at the back to prevent the load moving forward should you have an accident or have to make an emergency stop.

IME a Minno and a correctly loaded Caterham will never snake when attached to a 'family car'. Perhaps behind a Golf sized hatchback it will be less stable.

When I have encountered snaking it has almost always been a combination of aerodynamic disturbance during overtaking and travelling too fast, that's 'too fast' in a strict technical sense...

In these circumstances acceleration really isn't available. I've tried changing down and flooring it and just ended up with a 75-80mph wobble when I started with a 65-70mph one....

I think if your car/trailer is marginal in this area then a damper is an excellent idea. If it snakes at 'normal' speeds then you have a weight distribution or other setup problem and a damper is an elastoplast that you may get away with.

I'll wait for Peter to come along and offer some maths about the 'Q', frequency of the wobble, and relationship between that frequency, trailer geometry and inertia and road speed....

Paul