Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Reboot the driveshafts

Peter Carmichael

You have to remove the driveshaft, then take the CV off the shaft, then repalce the boot, I have detailed destructions somewhere but its straightforwward and messy. Alternatively you can get split boots which wrap around and ar joined with an adhesive, these are less difficult to fit but will have a limited life.

If the boot isnt too badly split you may be able to patch it.. for a quick and temporary fix.

Oily

Depending on the type there is either an inboard or outboard circlip holding the joint onto the shaft, with the inboard type you can opne and remove the circlip and the joint should slide off, with the outboard type the circlip is a round wire clip and will depress when the joint is tapped outwards and off the shaft. There are also types with inner and outer circlips, the ouiter circlip can be accessed behind / inside the flange which bolts to the diff output shafts, these are only on the LowBro type of joints which bolt onto the diff flanges.

If you have the tripod type joints then after dismantling the joint and peeling back the metal cover the joint will spring apart, you will need a puller to take the spider part off the shaft.

Oily

I've done one of mine before now when the boot was ripped. I presume you have the repair kit sorted? If not it's Ford pt no 612 7557.

It was a couple of years ago and I don't recall how the joint split so it must have been very simple once the metal sleeve was off. I recall the only difficult bit was crimping down the end of the new metal sleeve we ended up using a big vice and a couple of people with hammers and big flat screwdrivers working from opposite sides simultaneously.

They're standard Sierra (etc) driveshafts and Ford sell the repair kits so you'd think people would be set up to do it. But when mine needed doing the local Ford dealer and a couple of the local non-franchised but reasonable sized repair people didn't want to know. "We just stick new driveshafts in sir".

That said me and a mate (who incidentally runs a garage...) managed to do it in an hour or so with nothing more sophisticated than normal hand tools.

Try it.

There has been for a long time now stretchy cv boot kits and a cone shaped tool for application.the smooth plastic cone fits over the end of the joint and the STRetcHY boot slides up and over the the joint and you simply then move into place and use the new clip or zip tie, job done.Garages have been using these for years, they are very good quality and far better than the glue it to yourself split boot kits, best to ask for them at somewhere like partco and not a retail outlet.

Peter,

If you have a Sierra rear end, I have a Mercury Merkur workshop manual showing removal of the CV joints which requires circlip plers and a conventional puller. I could scan these pages and pdf them to you if you send me your e-mail address to

gramey@cmc.net.

George