Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Plastic bolts

tgracing

When I looked at the catalogue prices for small quantities I tried to find another supplier.

Nylon and Alloys were very helpful and their prices for any reasonable quantity are a fraction of RS or other Motorsport suppliers.

Typical price for aluminium bolts M5 16mm long is about £10 per hundred with nylocs costing £12.50 per hundred and washers £1.50 per hundred. They will supply smaller quantities but the minimum order is £15.00.

You can find them at:

http://www.nylonalloys.co.uk/

I think the rear wings are fitted with M5 bolts about 12mm long.

I hope this helps.

I assume the need for plastic bolts is brought on by damage to the rear wing causing extensive and costly damage to the alloy that it's fixed to. Do plastic bolts snap, as we hope, or is the alloy still full of holes too big to hold the rivlok nuts. Any experiences all you wing bashers?

Was that me then Mike? wink.gif

OK, I think you'll find they are M6 by about 20mm or 25mm. Mine were 20mm and plenty long enough.

Some people say, slice through half the bolt to aid its shearing. Others say only fit half of the total. I fitted all, and didn't slice them at all, and they sheared right off protecting the alloy panel of my car.....

..... on the passenger side.....

... however, as I actually came at the tyres backwards at rather an acute angle to the driver's side, at 110mph (last time I looked), my alloy panel never stood a chance. Bugger..! sad.gif

The only advice I have is to fit 2 nuts onto the bolts where the bolts poke through the bodywork (i.e. where there's no rivnut). You can tighten them up more as there's more thread working for you. Also use a large washer on the inside of the alloy panel (inside the boot) which will help to stop the panel distorting... spreads the "pull" as it were.... The same washers that you are supposed to fit on the wing-side. In fact, fit one there too, and you'll protect both the alloy panel and the wing, so the bolt is the only thing that has to give.

Wanna see piccies of the result post-accident? Email me and I'll send them out.

So how are they fitted? I've had a quick squiz at mine and it looks as though I'd have to remove the interior ally panelling to get at the nuts of three of the bolts. There are ten bolts holding on each wing - seems a lot to me!

Would number plate bolts suffice?

I think number plate bolts are about right.

Tim, How many did you get off Derek for a fiver ? I would like enough to do both wings and enough spares to do at least one wing (not that I'm pessimistic or anything).

Davebo

C7 CAR

Mike - there are 3 bolts 'below' the radius arm (on bottom setting) and 4 at the rear end of the car that I can access from the boot and with the up-and-under technique. There are 3 between which don't seem to be accessible without removing the interior panelling, though I'll have another look. I'm afraid I have a business meeting coming up and am all poshed up so I can't crawl around under the car at the moment!

BTW, I thought no. plate bolts would be the simplest and cheapest - apparently not so I'll have a look round the local fastener suppliers. Thanks to all for the various contacts, which I'll try if the locals come up blank.

The locals were hopeless so I've just ordered various bits from Apex who are mailing them to me tonight. The bill was 5.17 UKP for:

M5 x 20 mm hex head 20 off

40 nuts to suit (Nigel's tip)

40 ally washers, 18 mm diameter (Nigel's tip)

Blimey, you wanna be careful about taking my advice... You never know where it'll lead... wink.gif

Anyway, having had my placky bolts given to me, and having used them all up during a crash, I am keen to get some more. Is it right what people are saying, that number plate bolts are the correct thread then? They look too big for me.

...and another thing about number plate bolts. They are made from quite hard and durable plastic. The bolts I used were very soft and sheared easily (in a rather expensive practical experiment). I have concerns that number plate bolts may not shear as easily and wonder if those people who offered the tip of slicing through half of the bolt were referring these.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the replies so far.

It looks like there is some debate over whether th ebolts are M5 or M6 and whether number plate bolts are suitable. I was about to order a shedload from Vehicle Wiring Products, but if someone could give a definitive answer that would save me some time. I have a test tomorrow (which I'll have to risk) and a hillclimb in 10 days. Oooer.

Davebo

C7 CAR

The bolts on my 98 1.6k, built by Classic Carriage, are M5, 20 mm. I tried number-plate bolts but they were too big (M6?) for the rivnuts, but would do for the nut and bolted ones - if you see what I mean!

I just tried them and they were selling them in batches of 100 and they had a minimum order of £15.00

Bah! Anyone got a number for Apex ?

(Why don't I look back at the thread, eh ? - Apex, 01753 528639.)

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - davebo on 25 Jul 2000 14:13:48

Just a quickie.

Apex sent the bolts, good as gold. M5 is definitely the right size.

Use 2 nuts on the back, where nuts are needed.

They work a treat! (See my website www.tgracing.btinternet.co.uk for details of the exhaustive test I did at Wiscombe Park Hillclimb smile.gif).

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - davebo on 1 Aug 2000 08:18:55