Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-series flywheel and clutch

Ian Hayward

I have just removed the clutch for inspection while the engine is out and have a couple of questions. The engine is from a 97 Superlight.

1) Is this the 'lightened' flywheel? here and here

2) What clutch is this, here and here? It appears to have an AP style number on the cover 'CP 3748-1' but here are no marking's on the clutch plate.

3) I have read about some early cars having a 'Rover' input shaft fitted to the 6 speed gearbox, how can I tell? Picture of my gearbox here

Thanks

Ian

Edited by - ian hayward on 8 Feb 2007 12:48:22

Ian

If you are interested I can email you some pics of all those parts from my stripdown last winter and we can compare clutch part numbers as I still have the old cover (exciting stuff eh *wink*)

BTW I replaced my clutch (cover and friction plate) whilst I had the engine out (AP Competition) from CC which I understand is fitted to all versions including the R500.

I also changed the CRB which was squealing.

IMHO That is a lightened flywheel *thumbup*

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

Edited by - Bozz on 8 Feb 2007 13:15:35

Ian, looks like it's been lightened to me. In the first pic you can see where metal has been milled out between the 6 clutch cover plate fixing holes and 3 locating dowels - on a standard flywheel these would be flush with the surrounding metal.

Martin

Aero'd Roadsports B with a garage slowly filling up with upgrade parts

The flywheel looks like the lightweight flywheel fitted in circa 1997 & will be a little heavier than the current lightweight flywheel. If you want to remove it & weigh it a non-lightened one is around 7kgs (from memory) & the latest CC lightweight is around 3kg.

Your input shaft looks like the Ford one but doesn't look as though it's been shortened.

Edited by - Mick Day on 8 Feb 2007 13:35:30

Bozz, I have e-mailed you.

Mav, the cover has 'LC 03GD 008A' stamped into it, but there are no markings on the plate, which is what led me to rover input shaft question.

Martin, I ended up making some clamps with large washers and tube from B&Q. If you do it though make sure you use decent thick washers, as the ones I had distorted slightly marking the top of the block.

• Leadership Team

The flywheel is the standard lightweight version as was fitted prior to the R500, including the vhpd engines. The R500 flywheel is lighter still, and is now the only lightweight flywheel sold by Caterham. IIRC standard weight is approx 7kg, this will be 3.something, R500 is 2.something.

Stu.

Looking on the AP website suggests that the Ford input shaft is 1" x 23 spline, which is what I have fitted.

A quick search shows that a new plate should be 7.1mm (compressed) and the wear limit is 5.6mm (compressed). As far as I know the plate is the original, so is 10 years old (12k miles). It measures approx 7mm and the clutch plate and cover look to be in reasonable condition, is there any reason why I should not reuse them? Can I reuse the existing cover bolts?

Ian