Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

HPC Oil Pressure

stormcp

I have a 1993 hpc which has now covered 15K.

I am suffering from oil pressure problems. Running 3 bar when hot above 3K revs and as low as 1bar when hot on tick over...and this is when I fill the car with 1 litre more than the dip stick line?

I have changed the foam baffle

Checked oil pick up pipe and made small mouse holes in the end in case it is hitting the sump pan floor

Oil pump seems fine as the pressure is almost instant on start up

Using 10/40 vauxhall oil

Checked the pressure release valve

tried larger oil filter in case of starvation

Am running an oil cooler

Wet sump

I am under the impression that it should be around 4bar when hot above 3K revs and 2 on tick over. *confused*

Any ideas or feedback very welcome.

Cheers

Matt

Yellow Blur!

I never could get any decent oil pressure with mobil 1 10/40. I use 15/40. Pressure don't sound too bad. Could it be that you gauge is not accurate.? May be worth attatching a mechaical pressure gauge just to check. If your car is anything lke mine was on wet sump. If I overfilled it, it just spewed it out again. I donot have an oil cooler, so cannot pass caooment on that

RED 2.0 HPC 230BHP *thumbup* *smile*

Matt, my '93 HPC shows just over 2 bar hot idle and just over 4 when giving it a prod 😬 Mobil O-40. Have you considered the possibility of a dodgy sender (not uncommon) or guage? When I do a change or top up I put in just over the dipstick mark, any excess is dumped overboard via the exhaust on the first agressive right hander with spectacular results 😬

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Edited by - ric on 7 Feb 2007 20:47:10

Are the revs the same as usual at idle, if they have dropped slightly this will make a difference?

Stick with the oil you have or go for a brilliant upgrade to a 0w40 Mobil 1 gaining a little more power, a stronger oil freeing up some power while staying together longer. All a 15w will do is give the impression of better pressure at the cost of more engine, battery and starter wear.

X/FLOW 1700 DD 1990

ROAD USE ONLY..SO FAR

I had similar concrns last year after a baffle change. In the end I changed to a mechanical guage which is loads better than the electrical one. I get about 60 psi (4 bar) at idle when cold and 15+ psi when hot. I also fitted an oil temp guage (capillary type) at the same time. Oil normally runs at about 80 degC if I remember correctly (haven't been out for a while *thumbdown*).

Got the guages from Raceparts - v. good service *thumbup*

Seven Goes Mad in Dorset

Matt

you definitely shouldn't fill it appreciably above the dipstick mark. One thought, you do have the recalibrated dipstick don't you, i.e. the original high mark has been ground off and a new mark cut into the stick? The original supplied by Caterham had this done but if its ever been replaced with a standard Vauxhall stick it may not have been.

As Mark said, if you overfill it you whip up the oil which heats up and wastes power.

You don't need an oil cooler on these engines but there is a side benefit in that it adds to the overall oil capacity which helps in a similar way to an Apollo tank.

One check for oil problems is hydraulic tappet rattle. If they're quiet you're almost certainly okay.

Apart from draining out some oil to get to the correct level, having checked that your dipstick's right, I would first try a mechanical gauge as its most likely to be the electric gauge sender.

Paul

Sender - I had about 4 over 3 years. OPRV usually leads to higher pressure as it sticks. . When I was wet sumped I had 6 bar when cold at 3K, 4 when warm at 3K and never less than 2 bar hot at idle. This was on a 75K mile engine and mobile 1 motorsport. As Paul suggests low oil level usually manifests itself first with rattling tappets.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all of your help:

I will check the dip stick

Fit a mechanical guage to check pressure

Check the pick up pipe again and seal

I have not had any rattling at all from the tappets so maybe the pressure is fine and it's the reading that is out.

Regards

Matt

Yellow Blur!