Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fixing carbon dash.

Gambo

• Support Team

When I finally get around to fitting the new dash I have in the garage, I have some double sided sticky foam from Halfords. My plan was to use this and a couple of bolts/screws so that I can easily remove it if required. The bolts will locate it and the sticky foam will damp any vibrations yet still be fairly easily removed. I even toyed with the idea of using velcro which is I think what Norman (can I say that name here *tongue*) used for his.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• 3 weeks later...

As part of my Stack Dash upgrade, I have just ruined 2 new carbon dash boards.

The first one was cocked up when attempting to drill a new hole for the immobiliser light.

On the second attempt, I got as far as actually bonding the dash onto the car. The dash seemed to fit ok during the fitting process, but when refitting the scuttle the problems began.

I noticed that it fitted perfectly against the horizontal part of the scuttle on the drivers side, but there was an approx. 5 mm gap on the passenger side *confused*.

Having read previous posts, I attempted to carefully remove the bonding agent / dash using cheese wire so that I could reuse. Needless to say, carbon dash no. 2 is now sitting in 3 pieces in the garage.

I am now wondering how to progress and have a couple of questions before burning even more £50 notes....

o Does the Caterham supplied carbon dash fit perfectly at both ends (without a gap)

o Does the velcro fixing idea really work - as you can imaging having spent the best part of 4 hours this afternoon cleaning the crap off the chassis dash supports, the idea appeals to me!!!!

Any suggestions welcome - this is becoming the most expensive Caterham dash in history.

Cheers....Terry.

• 11 months later...

Anthony,

Did you use the current CC carbon dash?//if so, any chance of a close up of your stack unit in situ.

I'm looking at this at the moment..to me, it seems that if I fit the dash onto the curved botttom rail, I will have to cut around the steerer tube hole to allow this which will lift the original even closer to the one I need to cut for my stack (if thats clear?)

gary