Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tow bar fitting

bobt

Hi,

Before I buy one - are these tricky to fit yourself?

I'm looking to fit one to my 2007 Honda Accord saloon so that I can pull a minno trailer. The honda tow bar comes with a single wiring attachment but does anybody know where it might plug into the loom?

Cheers

Rob

I was told that the "regs" dictate that you have to have it professionally fitted ( after a certain year of about 2001?)

accident could result in claim being turned down on the basis that you DIY ☹️

do a gogle search for "whitter" and tehy have all the details of fitment etc

Dave

Go to www.towsure.com they have a legal section on their site. You can ring them and they will tell you how difficult it is to fit to your vehicle, would probably send you the fitting instructions if you asked.

Have fitted a few from them over the years and never had any issues. Hope this is useful.

S7MAD

Hmmm, done a bit of surfing

Re the legality issues of fittment the only ones I could turn up were these:

EC 94/20 REGULATIONS

This European Directive relates to mechanical coupling devices of motor vehicles, their trailers, and attachments to those vehicles. Type Approved towbars ensure peace of mind for all concerned.

The European Directive was published on 29th July 1994 and in conjunction with EC Whole Vehicle Type Approval 53/20, the aim is to allow free trading of vehicles throughout the EC once Type Approval is granted in one member State. Therefore, after 1st August 1998 new models of vehicles which the manufacturer indicates as suitable for towing, should only be fitted with towbars which have undergone Type Approval to the requirements of Directive 94/20/EC. Similarly, existing designs of all vehicles, both old and new which are registered after 1st August 1998 will require Type Approved towbars from that date.

The main points

1. A towbar must fit to all the vehicle manufacturer's recommended fitting points.

2. The towbar must successfully pass the new higher Euronorm Standard (20% higher than previous UK/European levels).

3. The towbar must not obscure the number plate when not in use (a detachable system such as the Brinkmatic overcomes any problems).

Soooo looks like I am permitted to fit one myself although it wouldn't have surprised me to find that I was not. Afterall I'm allowed to service my own brakes and tyres and suspension but fitting a tow bar is just too far 🙆🏻

I've had a ring round the companies listed and some others and although half the price of the honda one (370squid) they require a square hole to be cut into the bumper which I just don't want to do.

Thanks for your help on this chaps I think I'll give it a go

Rob

I had a non Volvo towbar fitted to my Volvo some years ago. Only a little while ago, when I got my hands on a proper Volvo towbar, did I realise theat the other one had defeated all the impact absorbing aspects of the rear bumper beam etc.

I would hope that the new standards would prevent such a poor design from being marketed.