Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Something major has gone bang in my gearbox....

grasshopper

Had a slightly airborn moment on Saturday. This was a bit unexpected, I was flat out in 2nd at the time so goodness only knows how high I was revving before I touched down again. The moment I touched down was when something let go with an almighty bang. *eek*

My instincts tell me that it's probably the Diff that's exploded (the car's a Suplerlight with a 6-speed and a LSD). The engine seemed fine and I could select gears which would suggest that the box is intact. Also the drive shafts were intact when I looked underneath...no fluids leaking either.

Has anyone had a similar experiance? Is the Diff fairly straight forward to sort?

Thanks

Chris

Hmm yup that's the next step, it's difficult to identify where the noise comes from. I had a clunking from the back of my car but it was actually a problem in the gearbox not the diff so it may not be quite as clear cut as it sounds.

If you put the car in gear with the engine off can you move it? it's worth trying both in and out of gear to see if the noise changes.

If you're feeling brave and chock the car you could run it with the rear wheels of the ground to see what is and isn't turning..... (not recommended but it is possible...) needless to say if you do this be very careful!

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Leadership Team

I would cut out the middle man and call Phil at Road and Race Transmissions - I believe he does most of the LSD work for Caterham and is a thoroughly nice guy too...

Road & Race Transmissions

The Bullock Shed

Filston Farm

Shoreham, Kent

TN14 5JU

tel: 01959 525105

mobile: 07836 333882

regards - Michael.

Thanks Michael, seen these chaps on Angus and Tessa's website.

This will be the first bit of work I've done on the Seven myself. Have worked on other cars before but I'm far from being a proficient mechanic. Where's the best place to get a manual from? - direct from Caterham?

Chris