Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery advice needed

Terry Field

Mine's on the way out and needs replacing. Having looked through all the threads, I can't find the answer.

So, what's the advantage/difference between a Banner or Redtop battery and a 'normal' one which I can pick up from a motor factor for about £60?

Are they more powerful, last longer, cheaper or what?

Thanks

1700XF - Team Lotus with flares.

Redtop or Hawker Odyessy batteries are Gel batteries which means they don't mind how they are mounted (ie on their side), they are generally a fair bit lighter for a given power rating and they also are more resilient in terms of long term discharge and general battery life.

I've got a Hawkey Odyessy PC680 (I think!) from Power Vamp which has been great, I'd definetly recommend getting a Gel type battery if you are replacing your current one, they are a little bit more expensive but in the long term should last longer.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

• Support Team

Search on here for Power Vamp or Odyssey and you'll find several threads with the details. They can be posted to you so no need for a local supplier.

They are actually absorbed acid batteries not gelmode>

Yellow SL *cool* #32

• 1 year later...

Very pleased with my Powervamp PVR25, engine cranks much faster and it holds its charge, I wouldn't go back to a banner. I did need to fit one longer battery lead and make a packing piece (bit of wood) as the Powervamp is a lot narrower than the banner - but it is a small job and well worth it. If you speak to Ed Roller at Powervamp he should be able to send it postage free (to club members) and I think mine was about £90.

All you need to know in this thread

In a very brief general summary:

The gel types:

> have a considerably greater cranking current capacity,

> cope well with short term deep discharge (neither type will like prolonged discharge)

> will retain their charge if sitting on a shelf for a long period (ie a year), whereas a lead acid type will slowly discharge itself.

> can be sent by post/courier ready to use (lead-acid type needs to be shipped 'dry' and filled with acid locally).

HTH *wink*

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte model 😬

Just beware, there is a downside to the gel batteries. They tend to have lower cranking voltages. So if the ecu is touchy about voltage (such as on the olde worldy R500), they are not as good. I had to ditch my "upgrade" to an Odyssey and "downgrade" back to my banner (all those years ago).

Also, many people who put diff physical size batteries in have to do a bodge to keep them in the battery tray. So the joy of adding lighness is destroyed by the engineering poverty of the bodge! *cool*

Graham