Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wheels/Tyres - 6x13 Vs. 8x13 ?

thorpep

I currently have 6x13's all round, what is the advantage of bigger wheels on the back? Apart from looking better (in my view), does it provide improved handling and help to get the power down? My car will mainly be used for the track and I want to achieve the optimum set-up. I have been reading the mails re. tyres with interest.

Can anybody advise me me?

Depends on your power level. If you don't have enough power you will never get the rear tyres up to temperature and this could result in worse grip. If you are talking about ACB10s then the 6 inch all round work well with Supersport (138bhp) power levels. At VHPD power levels you need a bit more tyre.

FWIW, the extra grip is *barely measurable* between my old 6inch tyres and the big ones I am now running. However, I would overheat the old 6inch rears on track within two laps.

I run my car with 6x13 ACB's normally, but I'm off to Goodwood on Saturday and going to try it with 8's on the back and 7's on the front.

I'm told the 6's are best suited to my car (1.6K SS 160 BHP), but I'll try and give you some feed back after the event.

So far I can tell you they are much more unpleasent on the road, tramlining terribly and seem to take an age to warm up (currently running 18 psi, I'll see if that works at Goodwood, if not I'll drop them a couple of psi and try again).

Nick

seems PC beat me to it, but I concur entirely about getting them warm!

Edited by - Pinky on 24 Mar 2002 12:07:39