Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Brake Hoses

Bozz

As some on BC may know I'm in the process of fitting a new DD tube to my car. I'm also taking the opportunity to get rid of the solid brake pipes running along the tube and fit flexibles instead.

I'm using P clips to secure the flexibles to the tube but whichever way I offset the T piece I can't get the amount of hose beyond each end of the DD tube to be equal.

See my gallery below for pics.

I suppose I should fit the ears and calipers to the tube to ensure that the hoses can reach the calipers but I didn't want to disturb the handbrake cable (the calipers are still hanging by the handbrake cable under the car).

Any thoughts *confused*

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

• Area Representative

I think you've aswered your own question. Best bet is to trial fit with the calipers. It's no problem releasing the handbrake cables. As I recall they only hook on and it's a good chance to clean things up and make sure everything is free.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

www.lads7.co.uk

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

• Area Representative

Bozz,

Looking at your photo's, it looks like you've fitted lock nuts on the fittings into the tee. The lock nuts may pull the cone end of the pipe fitting out of the cone seat in the tee - I think you'd be better removing the lock nuts and just making sure the pipe fittings are tight into the tee.

I saw a car fail its SVA on the same thing, it had a small leak there, amongst other issues.

The saga continues....

Managed to disconect the handbrake cable clevises from the calipers after some fiddling with the adjuster 😳 and removed the calipers.

Trial fitted the ears, shims and calipers onto the new DD tube (see gallery below for new pics).

Removed the locknuts either side of the tee piece as suggested; looks a bit strange without them, but I understand the logic. *idea*

It would appear that the flexibles will need to be routed over the radius arms at the point where they attach to the DD tube; will this be OK?

Another problem has arisen though in that the original ear to tube bolts which are fitted into the two 'blind' tapped holes appear to bottom out before they can be fully tightened. Surely this is not right *confused* I have fitted the aluminium shim between the ear and the tube and also a spring washer and plain washer under the bolt but on two of them the bolt actually goes right through the flange and hits the end of the tube. Just hope I haven't damaged the hole threads *mad*

I suppose I could either shorten the bolt or add a couple more washers; not very satisfactory though *confused*

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here