Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

protection against sandblasting

yankeedoodoo

Knowing that my all but complete cycle fender car will soon be destroying the paint with debris thrown off the tires I'm contemplating a solution. A body shop showed me some clear plastic-like stuff applied to the low front ends of high performance inferior cars like porsche. The material is squeegeed on in sheets cut to shape and is said to not discolor or damage the paint if removed. Also, it is barely noticeable unless you are looking. Some auto manufacturers use this stuff on new cars to protect vulnerable areas. My thought is to apply this to the side of the car behind the front wheels to protect from the sandblast effect of debris. So, has anyone out there tried this and most important, does anyone know what this stuff is called and where one might procure it? Thank you in advance for any thoughts, suggestions or better ideas!

I cant remember the cost but its significant (£60 maybe). The stuff is made by 3M and I bet if you knew the spec, you could get it cheaper, although not so neatly cut.

They supply a bottle of fluid which you spray under the sheet (instructions are included). Liberal use of this helps you get it in position, perhaps move it a bit and get the air out. Bubbles of fluid do, as the instructions say, vanish in a couple of days or so. Its a bit fiddly to make it fit the compound curves but if you keep wiping it down, it works.

Gents, Thank you VERY much, the info provided was exactly what I was looking for. Ended up with armourfend who make custom cut peices specifically for many vulnerable areas on caterhams. Well worth a look if your cars finish is of concern. The blatchat site is incredibly useful owing to the owners/users! Free beer in california to all members who appear!

This is now an option on new Caterhams, I believe. I was told by Caterham that Armorfend is definitely not a DIY job, and it isn't worth fitting unless yuo do so from new or have the rear wings repainted first. Caterham's price for an after fit job was £100 for rear wing repaint and £105 for the Armorfend, covering the area around the stone guards to a distance of about 200mm beyond the top of the guard.

Also available for other vulnerable areas but this is the part they recommend.

Absolutely no hitchhikersthumbsdown.gif