Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-series Head removal

Ian Hayward

Before I go ahead and remove the head from my 97' 1.6 Supersport engine I just want to check that I have set the timing marks correctly.

Following the description in the Haynes manual, I have rotated the engine so that the timing marks are aligned and the 'exhaust' mark on the cam sprockets are pointing to the inlet manifold side of the engine. here

However this appears to put the 'knobbly' bit in the middle of the camshafts over the centre head bolts here . Is this correct? It seams a bit tight, will the bolts slip past the camshaft or do I have to rotate the cams to remove the bolts?

Thanks

Ian

Can't remember having that problem. Have you got the cam sprocket the right way around? I cannot remember whilst sitting at my chair. If you want to check if the engine is in 90 debgrees BTDC (before top dead centre) then you can either check the crank pulley position or pass a rod down the spark plug hole to the cylinder. If you compare cylinder 1 and 2 they should both be the same height from the top of the cam cover (give or take a few mm). Obviously be careful if doing this and do not drop the rod in (I use a very long crew driver).

CageyH - makes sense to me but the Haynes manual quotes:-

'On the 16V engine, rotate the crankshaft until the 'EXHAUST' mark is at the rear (inlet manifold side) of each sprocket and the 'IN' mark is at the front and all timing marks are correctly aligned with the mark on the timing belt rear cover.'

The crank pulley is correctly aligned and all the pistons are at the same height.

Ian

It doenst matter which way 'exhaust' points provided that you are at 90 BTDC, it is the crank position that is important, the difference in position of the cams just indicates that you are on a different stroke of the engine. Turn the engine over one complete revolution so that 'exhaust' points diametrically opposite to what you have now and you may find that the protrusions on the cams are no longer in the way of the head bolts.

When re-assembling , again it doesnt matter which way 'exhaust' points so long as the crank is at 90BTDC and both pulleys point in the same direction with the scribed lines lining up as expected.

oily

Well the heads off (the car not the kid's), only took three rolls of gaffer tape!

It look's a bit of a mess, the inlet manifold gasket was leaking into the head, and the HG shows signs of failure in a couple of places. I think its the original gasket and was fitted with the plastic dowels.

Block here

Head here

HG here

Whats the best way to try to clean up the block and head? I think that there's some damage to the head where the gasket was going but its difficult to be sure.

Ian

Give the head to your local rebore company for a skim... costs about £20-£25. Clean the deck up with plastic type pot cleaner and re-assemble.

Nothing looks serious... buy your bits from DVA and whilst your at it get some vernier pulleys.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

• Leadership Team

Ian, I've found carb cleaner works best. If you carefully rotate the cams so that you close the valves one chamber at a time, you can carefully clean the head using a stiff brush and rags. DON'T USE ANY POWER TOOLS/WIRE BRUSHES ETC. I remember this done many many years ago (I must add not by myself but by someone who I thought should have known better!) and the engine was toast within a week due to an errant wire from a brush in a drill 😳

Heavy carbon deposits can be scraped of using something with a blunt edge so as not to cause any damage.

Stu.

I think up to 0.004"

It's the *minimum* height that is important - and consistency between the height of each liner. My memory is hazy about the suggested range (4-8 thou?) - best search out an Oily post - or wait for the answer from the man himself.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

4-5 thou is the correct height, any less and you could have problems, inconsistency in heights is also a problem. If the liners are too low then you will need to remove the sump, oil pickup, oil rail, rods, pistons and liners and linish the top of the block carefully to give the correct liner protrusion. Mask the block first with workshop wipes or similar and make sure you remove the metal evenly. Mark the liners with their cylinder numbers so that they go back in the correct positions and mark them radially so their radial orientation is maintained. Replace the big-end bearings and rod bolts when re-fitting.

oily

I've started to clean the block, it all looks OK, but there is some pitting on the top of one of the liners here I'm guessing that this will not be a problem as it is on the cylinder side of the gasket, and does not appear to be on the area where the gasket sits?

Is the liner height measured relative to where the block supports the liners or the outside edge?

Finally, what's the best way to clean the pistons? The Haynes manual suggests a smear of grease to seal the gap between the pistons and bore, then clean the piston (carb cleaner?) before using a brush to remove the carbon/grease from the gap. Does this work OK or is there a better way. I don't really want to fit clamps and rotate the crank.

Thanks

Ian

Is the liner height measured relative to where the block supports the liners or the outside edge

Oily showed me (two years ago - warning!) how to check. Broadly speaking, you need a perfectly-straight edge and some feeler gauges. Everything needs to be clean - 4-thou is a teeny height to try and measure in the first place.

Starting with The liner height will be (roughly) somewhere between the thickness of the last gauge combination to withdraw freely - and the first to snag...

Measure the height at several positions around each liner (set the edge at 45-degree angles etc.). That was it, broadly speaking... *wink*

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Edited by - Myles on 3 Feb 2007 13:27:46

Mine were welll short of 4 thou proud and with Oily's encouragement I linished the block with wet and dry until they were right, measured as Myles says *arrowup*. Despite my reservations about my abilities it's been all right for 5 or 6 thousand miles including almost 3,000 round Europe in temperatures up to 40C *thumbup*

Fatalism means never having to wonder if it's safe to overtake *eek*

Head looks pretty bad. It will need a skim, also worth bearing in mind that the head might have lost it's hardness, this is something worth checking prior to skimming.

Dave Andrews is the man to speak with he can clarify what should be done. Worth a phone call for a chat. *thumbup*

R500 Mango Madness

I've also just noticed this mark on the liner here

The car has only covered 13k over the last 9 years and spent a fair bit of time sitting in the previous owners garage, I'm guessing that the inlet manifold leak has been there for quite a while, and at some point partially filled the cylinder with coolant. Obviously without the liner clamps I cannot rotate the crank to see how bad the damage is.

Any ideas?

Ian

The liner looks fubared, but you cant tell without the confirmation of 3D, can you feel the rust mark with your fingernail?

To make two liner clamps, cut two lengths of domestic central heating pipe to the same length as the thickness of the head + 10mm, use two penny washers and then two of the head bolts in between cylinders 1&2 and the other between 3&4, the pipe acts as a spacer and clamps the penny washer down over two liner edges.

Then you can turn the crank, makes sure that you leave it at 90BTDC with number one piston rising!!

Oily