Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How can I tell if my alternator if broken?

julians

Assuming you still have a fan/drive belt? voltage on battery sounds ok but one way to test is put eveything electric on ie Heater Fan, Lights etc, start the engine and then see if the Headlights brighten when you rev the Engine if they do then the Alternator is working. Check the connection on the back of the Alternator, if there is burning on the plug it would suggest a failed Alternator also check the earth cable to the Engine (probably OK if it starts)

Be careful, because in truth, regulators on alternators have a nasty habit of intermittant faulting. 13.95 V means your alternator IS charging, but as the above post correctly points out, you don't know how the reg is responding to load.

What you should do is measure the amps that the alternator is putting out with full load applied - a simple clamp on ammeter will do for this test and should be easy to borrow from any auto electrical type (I am an auto electrician and I have one).

Maybe just the warning light circuit going legs up! Try pulling the warning light cable off the alternator and checking the little nasty connector on the end.

Hmmmm, just tried the lights to see if they brighten when revved, but they dont, they stay the same.

What did happen though, is the belt started to slip when I turned the lights on, so I tightened up the belt which stopped it slipping, but the light stayed on.

Interestingly, the light doesent come on immediately after the engine is started, it takes a good 20 secs of so of engine running before the light comes on.

I think I'll see if I can get a new alternator on sale or return.