Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

newbie needs a Caterham - posting also on Chit Chat

completely clueless

Hi Guys and Gals!! *biggrin*

Just sold my BEC (non Caterham variety) at a huge loss ☹️ ☹️

It is a really good high spec car and was absolutely nuts on the track - it will be winning some events very soon - someone has bought a real bargain! Problem was that after I bought it, I realised how much it would be used on the UK's finest country roads and it wasn't really what you might say as "suitable" !

Anyway.... I've learned my lesson and am looking for a car that is good on the road and on the track too

I always wanted an R400 but with no possibility of recovering my deficit (not unless anyone is prepared to meet me behind the Red Lion at 11.30 on Friday evenings?? 🙆🏻) I need to be more realistic.

I have about £13K or at a push £14K (if on baked beans for the rest of the year!)so was really thinking of a good older Zetec or Red top?? - any advice here would be appreciated *thumbup*

It must really fit the following requirements:

R300 / R400 performance / handling (nearer to R400)

weather gear and windscreen

good road manners

would prefer a non Q but beggars can't be ch....! - would a Q or a "Heinz 57" be accepted at the events held by the lotus seven club????? *confused*

No ex race cars! *thumbdown*

I am interested in any views or comments and apologise if this is something that has been requested before on Blatchat.

It is important to note that I am not a mechanic (although I suspect that I may have to learn fast!! *confused*) I really do not want to inherit a mechanical liability and am interested in driving more than spending weeks on end with the car on stands!! I also have concerns about possible corrosion problems as I seem to be financially restricted to the older cars. It must also be capable of taking a bit of abuse - after all this is what they were made for!! ANY COMMENTS FROM THOSE IN THE KNOW WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED

I've been viewing Blatchat from work until last summer when the office t'internet police fire walled the site!!! ☹️ so now I use the office laptop instead!! 😬 😬 but don't always have access so please be patient if I don't reply immediately.

Cheers for any help/advice! *cool*

completely clueless!

• Leadership Team

Completely Clueless - you're Cheshire based and you've missed the area chat at Daresbury tonight!

£13-14K puts you into "recent" dedion K-series territory, so if you're after an R300/400 style car there should be plenty around. It's the Lancashire meet in Bolton next wednesday and Cheshire (Wybunbury) the week after. Where are you in Cheshire?

Stu.

Chris - get along to your local area meet and chat to the guys there. They will be able to offer you the best advice and can show you the different options and what you can get for your budget.

Personally I'd be looking for a 1.6 or 1.8 SuperSport with 6 speed box, well cared for with as much history as you can get. Perhaps Superlight spec, but this will be a little older.

I would also look for a standard spec car for your first 7, after you have had it for a few months you will then have a clearer idea of exactly what areas you want to improve and upgrade. You can then either trade on (easier to sell in standard spec I believe) and buy exactly what you need, or upgrade your current car.

Now is the right time of year to buy, although there seems fewer on sale than a couple of months back (there were 70 Caterhams for sale on Pistonheads in October).

Don't buy the first you see, take your time and you will get a good one - try to take someone who knows what to look for with you, this advice will be worth its weight in gold.

Your not far off brand new kit money at £15K - perhaps worth considering...

I've only owned a 7 since November so there are a million more qualified people on here to offer advice, but this is my 2p's worth.

Best of luck.

Hello!

Thanks again for the advice.

Phrases such as "£5K spent on a refresh" and "Lots of Bills" start to sound a little worrying and bring thoughts of more Friday nights behind the Red Lion 🙆🏻 😳 - see original posting.

I'm interested to hear from you about the maintenance costs of a 180 - 200bhp engine with light to moderate abuse (I appreciate that it will be engine specific)

Have Fun!

completely clueless!