Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VDO fuel level sender

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

I am removing my fuel tank and have undone the two wires to the fuel level sender. One wire was a ring connector under one of the screws - the other was a ring connector under a nut onto a bolt. When I tried to remove this nut (see here) I find that this part (what is it?) is just a light press fit into the sender.

How should this be as I have always been concerned about electrickery mixing with petrol and wouldn't want to get it wrong!

Thanks - Michael.

Edited by - Mcalvert on 31 Jan 2007 20:03:52

Michael

There is no problem with electricity and ptrol - its when you get sparks and a petrol /air mix that the fireworks start. Remember Spark erosion is undertaken in paraffin - but no air

Undoing the nut can cause the stem to break off the sender unit which is mounted in what looks like a small ceramic insulator. I Kn&ckerd mine when I stripped out the tank but i was replacing the sender when replacing guages anyway

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

• Leadership Team

Thanks! How can I tell if I have broken mine? Can you see from the photo that I have attached? To be honest, I don't know what I am looking at!

Any idea of approximate cost if it comes to the worsl?

Thanks - Michael

Michael

IIRC the problem is that the stub end with the nut on only has a small soldered connection to the mechanichal arm and this is the weakest spot in the construction - if it separates its bust. replacement sender from merlin Motorsport about GBP42 inc theft. You mightr try www.eguages.com from Detroit who are VDO dealers. I got great service from them when I switched to white dials - paid about the same in USD as I would have in GBP so almost half price *thumbup* *thumbup*

David

1989 1700XF SS clams with carbon

webshots here

Posted on behalf of mcalvert

Thanks for the replies. Michael has just called to say he is driving past Castle Coombe today and will pop in to Merlin Motorsports for a replacement sender. Does anyone have the part number to hand please?

Many thanks

Tam