Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

DRE shift light fitting

Andrew Willoughby

Airhog

Can't help on the wire colours I'm afraid, unless they follw the same convention as EU3...

I used butt splices to join my wires - much nicer than Scotchloks. See here (there is a Maplin on the retail park near Tesco in Banbury).

Have yuo opened the jack box yet?

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 11000 miles completed!

I have noticed that if the shiftlight was nested as deep as possible into the RIF aeroscreen (low version), it would :

1) be very visible, and

2) not impede fitment of the tonneau cover.

One problem though, it would probably be necessary to move it forward to trigger the two buttons and read the display.

*confused*

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 6 Feb 2007 16:06:03

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted mine to EU3 car following 7heavensoon instructions BUT either the unit is faulty or something else;

It runs through the start up settings to quickly to actually change anything and it doesn't save the settings in any case.

I've noticed that after the ignition is on, the fuel pump primed, the tacho swings round to 2k revs without engine running. Suspect this "noise" is the problem.

Does that sound like a bad earth or something else ? Where best to take the earth from if not from the wiper bracket.

thanks

Mathew - does the tacho swing round to 2k WITHOUT the shiftlight connected? Also, is it possible to just leave the tacho connection to the shiftlight off (ie just +12v and ground connected) to see if you can play with the settings?

cheers,

Darren.

Darren, you may remember I had the same problem when I was trying to demo the s/lights to you on my car - the tell-tale readout of the Emerald was sending the tacho up to 5 or 6k which was stopping any of the setting menu from working as it has to think it is seeing less than 2 or 2.5k IIRC. I pulled the ECU fuse and it was then possible to go through the settings.

Darren/Phil

That helps. Have confirmed its not the DRE unit, its the tacho signal, and I have an emerald fitted which is probably the cause......so..have set the unit without the tacho signal and it should be OK now.

A real pain if I want to adjust the settings in the future though. Can the emerald signal be turned off ?

thanks

errmmm pass - I wired mine up myself, so I put in my own fuse & relay box with a dedicated fuse for the ECU (which it should have according to the instructions - 2A IIRC). I can't help on a Rover car I'm afraid as I have a Zetec.

Do you have a laptop and the connection cable for the Emerald? If so, you could connect up and then you can clear the telltale on the Events tab.

Phil Waters

Yep - pretty that's the same on mine. It should be below the shift light threshold though - although I was speaking from a "shift-i" perspective, not DRE.

Just a though, but can't you just pull the main plug out of the ECU - the shift lights are powered separately aren't they? It's late, and I've been toying my my new dashing wiring for nearly 2 1/2 hrs so I might be missing something!!

Phil Waters