Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle Wings That Fit?

Mike Molloy

The edges of the wings on the Atom do look good. I will put my thinking cap on. It may be even easier for me too to make *wink* Must look at the weekend at the fixings on my car. Surely we can find a simple solution.

How long should wings be????? The longer the less cr*p gets chucked up but do they look cool *confused*

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

The wing mounting is another area of dissatisfaction.
I have found the bonded Bighead fastener method to be excellent, they haven't looked like budging at all. Just need to snip the cable ties to remove the wing, and as they are cable tied, you can play around with the alignment/position of the wing, as opposed to the one-chance you get with direct bonding. *thumbup* to whoever discovered the Bighead method!

Yamaham @ Keevil

Dunno what the market would be for a wing that may only fit one tyre size *perfectly*...

The CR500 used to be the tyre of choice for many, but maybe the A048 has taken over?

Anyhow... Re. the question of how long the wings should be - the RGB Striker I saw had 180 degree coverage in an effort to improve the aerodynamics. I believe the French Caterham racers use a similar strategy. However, in terms of aesthetics they do look a bit clunky. Maybe 135 degrees (a bit like the current design) would be better.

One question that would need some experimentation is - does the curvature (side-side) of the atom wing give it enough strength without the deep side valences?

well, the thread has moved on a bit now but as promised:

here

the first two are the 175/55 R13 CR500 with Caterham carbon wings and Caterham 13" wingstays and they look silly.

the last pic are the same wings with cut and shut wingstays - not the holy grail of snug fitting wings by any means and the mis matched radius is showing but in the flesh it's not a bad compromise.

quote: Sikaflex is a tidier solution but you need loads of goo to guarantee they stay stuck. God help you if you ever want to get the wings off again...

...well it's not too bad removing them - pretty quick with a carefully wielded stanley knife, though getting the remaining bits off the inside of the wings is a bit faffy.

Nick

Stu, I think you miss understand what I was suggesting, this was just a method to fix the wing to the stay in a neat way, not a method of adjustment

The current wing stays have two tubes which protrude horizontally across the tyre, the tubes on the underside of the wings would just slot over these.

for height adjustment you would obviously need one of the stays pivoted so that it could swing fore and aft. I'll have to do some drawings, does anyone know what sort of load the wings would exert on teh stays?

• Support Team

Just for comparison here are my Caterham c/f 13" wings with race stays. Looking at this picture is the first time I've thought that they don't look great. Tyres are CR500s 175/55R13.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 31 Jan 2007 22:27:55

Nick - all I see are the descriptions "Before1" etc. but no actual photo?

Shaun's photo pretty much illustrates my point about the standard wing design being the wrong radius for CR500s.

Maybe CF is the ideal material to make a low profile wing strong enough so it won't flap around at speed.

Anybody care to guess by how much the tyre diameter increases at full chat?

I was also thinking of chopping off the tubular wing stays (which are mighty strong) and using some flat bar to create lower profile sections over the tyres.

Thanks for the feed back. I will put my thinking cap on *confused* *wink*

Must admit I really like those Atom wings still 😬 Would look good on my new car *wink* With our new process we could reasonably easily have different moulds without it costing a fortune.

RiF Flying even faster in my very bright yellow 226bhp Duratec 7, with internal kevlar/carbon panels and pushrod suspension 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon

Been chatting about this with Dartford Composites , and they have offered to make a mould and produce a cycle wing that is in line with a 185 wheel profile. Would need feedback from you guys on how big you would want them in terms of length.

They would only be GRP, but I am sure RIF could use one to take a mould off.

Any interest in this route ????

CSR wings are shaped to reduce the low pressure area behind them. Freestyle use vents to achieve the same thing. Why not mount close fitting wings under the existing stays and incorporate spoilers into the moulding to hide the stays?

No doubt there is an obvious reason why this can't be done and someone will be along in a minute to point it out.