Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Horn failure

z7

• Area Representative

I have a Moto-Lita steering wheel and I have just a my second horn failure. The failures have come at 6 month intervals which makes me think it may be a design or common problem.

The problem is that the horn ring has become detached/unglued and then cuts through the wire which then shorts out. I bet my neighbours loved me at 00:45 this morning!

My query is: is this a common problem and are there any solutions? I really don't want to be fixing this every 6 months!

I know that cars with removable steering wheels have a button on the dash but I'm not keen on that solution. Even if I do go for a removable wheel.

Are other makes of 'wheel any better?

Thanks

Adil

I had the same problem when building my car - the horn ring is low quality and the copper ring is not well attached to the boss. One solution is to take it all off and glue the ring on with araldite so its there to stay. Also make sure that when you replace the steering wheel boss that its not too close to the ring otherwise the ring shorts thru the steering wheel boss.

• Area Representative

Thanks Simon. I used SuperGlue, IIRC, last time I repaired it. May be I'll try araldite next time. But I've been thinking about a new 'wheel anyway...

Cheers

Adil

Can I recomend loctite two pack glue as this is as strong as araldite and sets in 15mins compared to the 16 hours of araldite and 8 hours of araldit rapid, it also has the advantage of bieng only £3.99 half the price. I have used it for years in place of araldite for glueing my arrows together.

This is a plastic padding product which is owned by loctite.

• Area Representative

Phil, please do recommend ... anything you feel may be useful.

Having whipped out the failed horn ring at the weekend, I see, and now kind of recall, that it was a complete replacment from Caterham. Rather than a re-glued unit by me. May be re-gluing is what's needed!

And MOT due this week!

Adil

Just mentioned the glue as it was as good if not better than araldite and a lot cheaper but have no real insight into the horn problem, sorry.

If it is any help I have found the part number for the glu, it is called

Super Epoxy Glue by plastic padding and the code is

art120 or p120, it is a two pack simple mix together 50/50 job.

• Area Representative

Phil, in this case the glue is the problem. It failed allowing the copper horn ring free. Which in turn cut through the wire.

Thanks for the info. it is of helpthumbsup.gif

Adil