Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camcoat?

Peter T

Has anybody used camcoat coatings internally in their engines? Are there any real clarifications regarding a 5% power increase , can anyone let me know if it is worth the expense.

Thanks.

C7 PWT X-Flow all Steel

Its in but not Running (Yet)

Peter,

They did a good job of my exhaust, but I never though of them for the internals.

I guess there could be some benefits but expect you need to be careful about finished size of parts and clearances.

Regards

Robert

Coating the inlet runners and inside of the plenum could help improve charge air density and power. It is done on competition cars quite often. Not sure its worth doing on the inside of the exh ports.

I've just had my exhaust manifold coated by Zircotech in Harwell, good quality, it will only improve performance marginally as it just brings the underbonnet temps down a couple of degrees. It should improve the starter motor reliability though.

Zircotech have coated piston crowns and cylinder heads on rare occasions but I think that must have been for a research project or a diesel. It wont do an SI engine any favours at all.

Bob

• 8 months later...

They dont use the same coatings internally as they do for the exhausts etc, they have loads of different coatings for various things, heat dissipation, lowering friction etc etc. Worth having a chat with Peter Carter, the owner of Camcoat, he's a good bloke to have a chat to about it, and he even races a Classic Clubmans car with an X Flow in it.

Chris

Edited by - chrisg on 24 Nov 2002 19:13:46