Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Classic steering

Corkheader

My 1.6 VX classic can get very skitish over 70 on bumpy roads. I have tried experimenting with tyre pressures but it dosnt seem to make much difference

The car does not have adjustable dampers and is as far as I know standard, A frame bush is new.

Can anyone help me with tracking and castor settings for everyday road use?

Thanks

John

• Support Team

I've had this on my 1.8 Roadsport.

Problems were:

1: Knackered rear damper. 😳

2: Adjusted tracking to 1 deg or so toe in from 2.5 toe out

3: Adjusted castor from > -2 deg negative -1

The car has been transformed. Caster was hard to adjust as the threads were seized in the top wishbones, so had to buy new wishbone 🙆🏻

Blat mail me if you want a copy of the settings from the build manual *thumbup*

As posted above the first thing to check is tracking. Slight toe in (say a degree) gives stability, slight toe out gives a faster turn in at the expense of stability. Some racers like this but on the road it's probably hard work. Between the 2 is a compromise. *wink* When I got mine I had it flatfloored (under £100) and it was transformed, with everything set up and much more stable handling.

John

Flat flooring (aka 'corner weighting') aims to get the weight of the car evenly distributed between all four wheels. In practice this is difficult to achieve, but it is possible to get the weights on the two front wheels equal (helps prevent one wheel locking under heavy braking) and the rake of the car from front to rear right (a 7 should be 15mm higher at the back than the front).

To do this you need a perfectly flat floor, equal tyre pressures and adjustable dampers.

Steve