Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Changing front discs

Mrs Kipper

Will be changing front discs (but still standard Caterham size) to accomodate new pads with larger swept area.

Looks a pretty straightforward job but are then any hidden difficulties I should look out for or little wrinkles that might be helpful?

The car is a year 2000 De Dion.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

It helps when you undo the 4 bolts holding the disc to the hub if you sit the hub and wheel studs into the upturned wheel. It holds the hub in place allowing you to give the ratchet handle some welly to loosen the bolts. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Mission accomplished at the weekend without too much trouble. In fact the thing that took most of the time was getting the dustcap thingy off from the centre of the hub. In the end I resorted to a screwdriver and a few wacks with a large hammer.

I followed the details from Myles's website which were clear and concise as usual. What his site didn't show was that, of course, you have to remove the caliper away from the disc before the disc can be removed. This is done very easily by removal of the two bolts holding the caliper to the upright and then using a couple of cable ties to suspend the caliper from the wing stay so that there is no pressure on the flexible brake pipes.

Putting the disc assembly into a wheel to hold it to remove the four bolts is a definite *thumbup*. The bolts were tight but came out without too much trouble.

The old discs certainly showed some wear (approx 30,000 miles) and there was a definite lip between the swept area and the rusty, unswept area at the edges of the disc. This would not have worked well with the new Pagid pads I fitted and if you are upgrading to similar pads the I would recommend fitting new discs at the same time.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

I followed the details from Myles's website which were clear and concise as usual. What his site didn't show was that, of course, you have to remove the caliper away from the disc before the disc can be removed

Ah, yes.... 😬

Of course, the main point of the article was the fitment of the new HiSpec 4-pots... *wink*

Glad it was of use though - and I struggled with those damned dust-caps too.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com