Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trailing arms vs A Frame (1991 spec chassis)

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

My car is a 1991 Supersprint and was one of the age that did not have a proper A frame, but a pair of trailing arms. I believe from speaking with James Whiting in the past that a popular upgrade was having a "cross" piece welded/brazed in to make this from a "V" shape to an "A". However, when I dropped in to Caterham this afternoon to pick up some parts, they said that it would not make much/any difference.

Has anyone else done this mod? (car is used for sprints, trackdays & touring)

Regards.

Michael.

Yes mine was the same, i welded a bar across.

It did make the car a bit less twitchy when accelerating, and braking in mid corner also was better, i think it transmitted a bit of twisting force to the other side rather than deflect. *thumbup*

I made a wooden jig so i could weld it exactly on the floor. *idea*

R500 Mango Madness

Do Caterham sell a proper A frame that will fit cars of this era ? I was looking at my diagonal arms a couple of weeks ago and was thinking that they may need replacing soon as the bush ends near the wheel arch have grounded out so many times that it is starting to wear the metal away.

I was also told not. I was also told that new arms are not a stock item and may take 2-3 months to get made, though this was during the time period when there was the Arch - Caged debate, so may be quicker now.

If you do get new arms made up i would like to get a price on these as i didn't get further than investigating availability.

If enough of us want one maybe Arch could do us a batch of custom width A-frames to suit our strange cars.

My (originally) 1990 Supersprint had the separate links but I also had James Whiting weld them up for me. I felt at the time it was an improvement but it would be fascinating to try going back to the separate links just to see what it feels like now.

Anyone got a spare set they can bring along to a track day *eek*

Matt

Life begins at 10,000 *cool*

I'm running separate links as well 😳

Several people have suggested having them welded up, but I haven't done so far.

I was told that it would give a tighter feel when going through S bends *confused*

Mcalvert, I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you do have the x bar welded in

Cheers

😳 😬 😬 😳