Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Pad advice please...

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

At the moment, I run Grean Stuff front pads in Alcon calipers at the front and standard Caterham pads at the rear.

I have noticed that the pads seem to have been dragging recently, and when removing the rear pads yesterday, I was surprised to find that the surface was not smooth like I expected but pitted, and in fact, seemed to be breaking up slightly. You can easily rub the surface and material falls away here Is this normal? If not, should I just replace with more of the same or are there any other pads that I should consider? (car used for track days, sprints and touring. I have to say that since the upgrade to Alcon on the front, I have been overall satisfied with the brake performance on track.

Thanks!

Michael.

Micheal, There are some good reviews of Mintex 1144. You can get these from Questmead in Rochdale. If you can speak to Alan he may give you a discount if you mention "Norman from Dealer Management Services".

ed to ad the link here

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Edited by - nverona on 22 Jan 2007 10:06:36

I run 1144s as front pads, and they're much better than the standard pads, so if you stick them in the rears you'll probably find the balance of the car changes quite a bit.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

Mike,

I've the same set up as you front brake wise.. I fitted mintex 1144 rear pads before the last 3 sprints last year and it terminally shagged up brake ballance! the car is horrible under heavy braking now.

I'm going to upgrade the fronts to pagids shortly to hope that helps restore the balance. Fancy a bulk buy from JW???? 😬

Neil/Michael - I have put the Pagids into the Alcons and they give a far far better feel than the green stuff which was in there before, which never gave me the 'bite' I expected. I justified the cost on the basis they should last a while 😬 - I also replaced the discs at the same time. At the moment I have some 1176 Mintex in the back - only because Mark had some old ones lying around when we rebuilt - the car is heavily over braked at the rear as you would expect with those aggressive pads, so I am going to put 1144's in the back, which should balance things out a bit *thumbup*

*thumbup* for the Pagids though...

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

98,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

I only have humble 2 pot calipers. ☹️

However, I've got RS15s at the front and 1155s at the back. Very pleased but haven't been able to test the balance in the wet. The rear pads throw out tons of dust though.

Previously had green stuff at the front and standard pads at the back (whatever they are) both ends burnt out and fell to bits. *eek*

C7 CDW

• 5 weeks later...

I had this type of breakup ( but worse) on some std rear pads I had to use a couple of years back, as an emergency fix for a trackday at Knockhill.

I put it down to them being completely shot after just 10 laps, yes 10 laps of the circuit.

I usually run Mintex M1144 in the std rear caliper and they have a great balance tih whatever the car came with fitted to the front (big brakes) *thumbup*

• Leadership Team

Thanks Adrian but I have decided that I just had a bad set and have ordered some standard pads from Caterham. I've also invested in a wind-back tool, so will hopefully be fitting them at the weekend!

Michael.