Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle Pedal Adjustment

RobM

I'm looking for some advice regarding the adjustment of my throttle pedal.

I need it about 3 inches further towards me, so that I can heel and toe. Brake and clutch are currently in the perfect position, but, strangely, the throttle is much further down so its completely unreachable by the side of my foot or heel on downchanges. I don't want to change the brake and clutch as they are perfect.

The rotating adjuster near the throttle body end of things doesn't move it by enough, so what I've done is shorten the cable and solder another nipple on the end, like you'd do on a motorbike throttle. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it has put the pedal at an angle such that the cable will slip out of the top of the pedal quite easily!! My temporary fix for this further problem has been to squeeze a rubber washer/bush type thing over the top of the pedal, thus stopping the cable from coming out. Hardly ideal, and probably soon I'll go over a big bump, dislodging my rubber attachment (oo err!) and the cable will fall out leaving me with no throttle at all :-(

The handbook seems to suggest (not very clearly) that I bend the actual pedal! This seems a bit drastic!

Any suggestions?

rob the pedal is a hollow tube and will bend very easy

if you take the cover of the pedal box and put a thick

block of wood under the pedal in the car remove the cable

then if you use mole grips on the top part of the pedal you can bend it to your right level then fit cable the pedal is held in with one bolt 13 mill i think

you can take it out if you need to

fredid=blue> smile.gif

Surely if you want the pedal closer to you ie nearer the back of the car then you want the pivot in the rearmost position as tbhall suggests - not the forwardmost as your reply states - or were you doing the "but when i look into the pedal box everything is upside down" thing?

N

It is amazing that the throttle pedal can bend without too much provacation (OK, well a bit).

'Repaired' Phil Stewarts car after he gave it a bit too much large in Le Mans last year as it had done this and he was only getting about 25% opening after that.

Careful bending got it back to full travel. Worth fitting a throttle stop to prevent the same. Crude but efficient is a long bolt with a couple of std nuts to act as lock nuts drilled through the pedal box 'bulkhead'etc.

Problem solved! After some further inspection and bending, I've discovered that my throttle pedal had been bent quite a bit by the previous owner (I bought my 7 from Caterham pre-owned). I've now bent it back to how I reckon they all leave the factory, and the throttle stop that prevents the cable from going loose is now close to the stop nut when my feet are off the pedals..how it should be I presume. (beforehand the pedal could come right up over a bump, causing the cable to totally come off the intake end of the throttle!)

My pedals are now perfectly set up, thanks.