Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 16V/eco-tec

mark.hall

Can anybody tell me, is the bottom end (ooer) on both these engines identical, and it's just the head that is different, or have I been misled by some-one trying to offload an eco-tec? Is the eco-tec any good at all or should it be avoided. I'm after about 220 bhp, so what's the score? Could I fit a "normal" 16V head to an eco-tec bottom end or are there other issues to consider?

I'm told that the ecotec is less suited to being tuned than the XE. When I last spoke to QED about this, they seemed to imply that the ecotec was an inferior engine for tuning although it's 1600 variant had potential.

There's no doubt that the XE is used much more extensively than almost any other engine in club motorsport and will stand being tuned up to 280BHP without too much drama. It also has much more in the way of aftermarket upgrades available.

Try talking to QED or SBD. They'll know exactly what each engine is good for.

I've heard that the block is the same but I'm not sure on this.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

No is your answer ,Vauxhall Echo Tec is not the same block as a non echo tec,The 1600 16v is a very good unit and I run this in my car with 213BHP as seen in Car & Car conversions some time ago, This engine can now be tuned to 250 by S.B. Developments should you wish or have the money to do so.

The difference being is the Echo Tec is Know as X20XEV engine and the early type is 20XE OR the X20XE The two blocks are not the same and it would not be possible to fit the head from one to the other. I hope this helps you in some way.