Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Halfords anti freeze in a K

robmar

• Support Team

Rob - I've been using that for the last few years including in my new engine. I used to use propelyene glycol as it's less hazardous but when my local supplier of that disappeared I switched to the Halfords one (after flushing the old stuff out).

I would flush as much of the old stuff out as you can with water, drain and then fill up with this stuff. I use a 50:50 mix.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

thanks Shaun -I live in a hosepipe ban area so cannot do the hosepipe routine

only other option is to fill up with water, run the engine and then bleed again with hopefully a more diluted amount of any coolant left in

with regard the 50:50 mix we have crappy tap water so should I use some nice filtered stuff or does it not matter

rob

• Support Team

Regarding water to use for dilution I normally get the deionised stuff from Halfords as it doesn't cost much. You could filter your own I guess. I don't know if it matters but having seen what Thames Valley water does to our taps and kettle I didn't think it would be great in an engine!

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Probably due to the massive leak at my flat... sorry the useless buggers still haven't fixed it. Classic thing happened yesterady someone dug up my meter where the leak is, and filled it in again but didn't fix anything... rang Thames Water and they say that no one is scheduled to be out there until Monday - its a mystery! *confused* *thumbdown*