Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best Tyres for Road Use

Richard Hammond

I'm sure that this has been done to death but any quick advice about what tyres to go for. I have a 1.6k SS, doing up to 5000 miles per year on the Queen's highway. I don't want to replace them every year.

I'm on 14 inch wheel Pilots at the moment so I guess anything would be an improvement !

Li7 KAR

I agree entirely with Rob, I tried my 21's at Brands in the dry just to see how they performed and they overheated very quickly.

I use the 21's on the road though and they are brilliant, also a very good wet weather track day tyre.

Buy yourself a second set of rims and fit ACB's for track use. They are just horrible for road use as they tramline all over the place (they are a crossply tyre) but you'll not find a better road legal track day tyre.

Nick

For A539's or any other road tyre go to Bracknell Tyre and Battery, call Tim or Lawrence on 01344 411323, they are v.cheap, not so good on racing tyres would suggest George Polley as above who are definately the cheapest

The 539's are not really comparable with 021's/032's. They are the updated version of the old 520(I think) and are OK as a road tyre but offer significantly less grip than the softer, more track orientated other two. 539's are what I will be using as my list 1A tyre for sprints/hillclimbs, but only because i have to! I tried to scrub mine in a bit with a day at Cadwell and another day travelling sideways at Millbrook but I haven't made much impression on the hard rubber.

I found out later that if I was a pro I'd have got them "buffed" from new.... If 1A legality is not an issue I would pay a little more and get some 021's if I was you.

021's! Great in the wet. I was quicker than 032 tyred cars at Cadwell in the serious wet.

In the dry afternoon the 032's had the edge on me no doubt about it but not by that much.

They will melt on very hot track days but then both do that anyway...

They last longer than 032s (about 6000 mostly road miles as opposed to 3000 for 032's).

Jason had touble getting 021's on 14" but I think supply is ok now.

I was running 21s last year a they are really good you need to run them between 17 & 18 psi to get even tyre wear though, as my first set wore out in the middle after 2500 miles at 19 psi. I've been using 32's since Sept and they are even better. If you don't go out in the rain much or at all, 32's would be my choice, not sure on wear yet.

I get my tyres from a guy in Egham, Surrey who seemed as cheap as Geoge Polley and is a lot closer to me not sure of the company name but ask for Ian on 01784 433333. He has beaten everybody else on price when re-booting my other cars.

Edited by - MartinB on 24 Mar 2002 08:54:24

I've had 021s on my 1.8 Supersport for about nine months now, and I'm very pleased with them. I find them perfect for road use, and they seem pretty good for trackdays too (but then I'm not very quick, so I guess they don't overheat too much!). My only slight gripe is that the tread depth is a mean 6mm or so new, so they get illegal rather too quickly. My previous road tyres (Pilots) were more like 8mm as I recall.

JV