Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A032R - Soft or Supersoft?

Steve Brown

I've been told by people who've tried them that the SS ones are much grippier than the S compound, and are probably very close to ACB10s in terms of outright grip...haven't tried them myself though so can't comment first hand.

I hope you trailer your car to the tyre shop though. I had a set of S 32Rs and they wore out in about 3k miles max. I'd imagine SS would be gone in much less.

Our 32R's went on at Xmas, and are just about ready for changing already, in order to be strictly legal. We have done about the 3k miles andy mentions, maybe a bit more. Fine for track days when I find some more wheels. They were the S, as opposed to SS.

Totally worth it though for the fun they have given though, in comparison to the michelins we had on them. Total convert, and will replace them with more of the same!

I've had both SS and S compound 032r's. The SS are grippier but they aren't as grippy as ACB10's. I found it was quite easy to overheat the SS compound tyres on track and they didn't last very long at all!!

I've moved back to S compound now as I didn't think the extra grip was worth the reduced life and over heating problems.

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 21 Mar 2002 14:12:17

Someone was telling me recently about the issues between A032Rs being radial and ACB10s being crossply, and that as a result they need completely different suspension setups.

Now if you have a set of radial wets (e.g. A021R like I use) then it is difficult to use ACB10s 'cos of the suspension setup differences. As you don't want to have to change the suspension camber/toe in etc, then you need your wets and drys to be the same type of tyre. So at the moment I use A021R and A032R depending on the conditions.

So you guys who use ACB10s, what sort of wet tyres do you use?

cheers

Wacky

With reference to the SS front S rear I tried that today on a dry track day at snetterton. The balnace was pretty good although at first it was a bit tail happy. The fronts did go off in the end when they started to overheat a bit and the front started to washout through the faster stuff, it was a warmish day though.

I think the best bet is use SS for the early days when it's quite damp and cool but once the weather picks up I reckon the S are a bit more consitant and don't overheat/go off quite as much.

They do wear out pretty quickly though

Graham

I drove 3000 miles from Ontario, Canada to California on a set of 032r(s). They had 3 hard track days at Mosport(Canada). They were an amazing tire coming off after Toyos(good on the old 16' rims), Goodyears(crap) and a set of 008r(loved them in the wet). But now that I'm down here(CA) I decided to give Hoosier a try. No doubt about; the best tire I've had on my HPC. They just won't let go. I need to buy another set of rims so I can have the 032 for trips and the Hoosiers for the track.

Wackydo, I use ACB10's in the dry and 021r's in the wet. You're right it's not ideal as the ACB10's do ideally require different camber/toein settings.

Currently my car is set-up for radial tyres which means when I'm on ACB10's they wear out on one side, I guess they also aren't working quite as well as they could do given the correct suspension set-up.

I do a lot of road miles on 032r's so I'm not going to bother changing the suspension set-up.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 24 Mar 2002 11:17:34