Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel pumps

Nick Speed

For the third time in 3 years the fuel pump on my HPC, on carbs, has blocked with what looks like white jelly - is this water in the petrol?

The Facet solid state (fast road 4.0 - 5.5psi) has no filter and I am thinking about changing to a Silver Top Competition interrupter pump.

Does anybody know if this has a filter, is it possible to use the same mountings on the bulkhead behind the passenger seat and is such a pump a good move?

I run an FPR007 Comp Filter King. Engine produces about 195bhp.

Is it possible to clean out the fuel tank without removing it?

Cheers,

Nick

Was the pump pre filteredquestion.gif If not, ALL fuel pumps should have a filter between the tank and the pump. I'd stick with the solid state pump, rather than an interuptor type, or try a Webber pump from James Whiting.

I'm not sure what the white jelly could beconfused.gif

I've found jelly-like substance in motorcycle carburettor float bowls. Usually from where the bike has been left standing some time. Can block all the jets and atomisers and actually corrode as well.

I've also seen frosty, gloopy looking stuff accumulate on the outside of carbs where there have been leaks.

God knows what they put in fuel nowadays. Didn't have these problems years ago.

AMMO

Never tried the solid state one. The silver top can be notoriously unreliable, see many previous threads. My first two lasted less that a year each, but my next one lasted I think over five years before I changed it routinely this winter. Some tuners are now refusing to sell them becuase of this problem. Needless to say I always carry a spare.