Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Eibach springs - are they worth it?

robmar

Main winter upgrade is to go for Nitrons (the abviouse reason as to my slowness last year 😳)

anyway looking at the nitron web site it offers me the option to upgrade to Eibach Springs siting the following reasons

Why should I buy the Eibach spring upgrade?

Eibach makes the finest performance springs in the world. Period.

When other springs sag, wear out, or create sketchy handling or a bone-crushing ride, top tuning firms – like top race teams – inevitably turn to Eibach. And, also inevitably, wonder why they didn’t choose Eibach in the first place. Some of the benefits of installing Eibach springs on your Nitron suspension include:

• Marginal tolerances, for a more accurate setup

• Ultra-lightweight, for reduced upsprung mass

• Maximum deflection in combination with smallest block heights

• Precision planparallel and square end configurations under unloaded and loaded

conditions

• Lowest side loads with centre ideally located relative to spring axis, reducing

damper friction

• Exceptional block resistance and durability

so are they worth the extra 95 quid plus vat over standard springs Nitron uses 🤔

and can anyone explain the last 4 *confused* in numpty speak *tongue*

Rob *confused*

Edited by - robmar on 15 Jan 2007 18:29:19

Rob

Sorry I cannot explain the meaning of the last four benefits and reckon Peter C is your man for that, might be worth a post on TechTalk.

If you don't get them you will always wonder what if, but will leave yourself an excuse if your not top of the leaderboard *tongue* 😬

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

MD - to be honest I never really understand Peter's explantions 😳 unless someone comes up with a reason for why not and for the sake of 100 quid I am tempted

DSL - brodies busa, if it was road legal then maybe! plus don't have the space 2 cars much as i would like it 😬

• Maximum deflection in combination with smallest block heights

A spring is a long straight piece of metal formed into a coil. Lots of coils equals lots of length which is a weaker spring. If you reduce the number of coils, you get a stiffer spring. If you reduce the number of coils too far, the spring breaks or takes a permanet set, because you have asked too little metal to take up too much deflection. The alternatives include using thicker material, so that the spring can still have more coils but be the stiffness you wanted, but they will be heavier and because there is more metal, the neighbouring coils will hit each other at lesser deflection. Eibach are claiming that use of better materials allows them to produce the spring you want with a small number of coils of thin material. This also allows the overall coil height to be small, which can help packaging (but not on a Seven really).

• Precision planparallel and square end configurations under unloaded and loaded

conditions

Planparallel is a German word. Translated, it means that when the spring is viewed end-on, the end surface you see will be flat and facing directly towards you; the other end surface will be parallel. The Eibach springs are designed so that this is the natural shape for the spring even when it is loaded.

• Lowest side loads with centre ideally located relative to spring axis, reducing

damper friction

The spring ends are the discontinuity in the spring design and could result in the spring force not being aligned directly down the central axis of the coil spring (think about the way Caterham's progressive rear springs form a bow shape after some time). Eibach springs will have the coil ends (the ends of the working length of the coil) 180 degrees opposite each other to minimise off-centre force and the transition from the working length of the coil to the end coil will be designed so that this remains the case under load.

• Exceptional block resistance and durability

Block resistance is a bad translation of "compression strength" - strength is the engineering term determined by how much load an item can take before a "failure" of some sort occurs. This conflicts with point number one in this list. If the springs are made light and small, they won't be particularly strong. However, if all other things are held equal compared to other manufacturers, the superior materials used will produce stronger springs. "Durability" refers to fatigue performance.