Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fester gremlin takes a bashing.....

Unclefester

Thanks to Simon Hayward (for the lone of a Lotus Elise 1.8 ECU) I seem to have squashed the major Gremlin!

I put it on the car and let it tickover for 10 minutes as Simon advised.....by the end of the 10 mins it was veering wildly between 500 and 1500rpm for a period, then settling, then veering again....I just let it get on with it, after blipping it at one point as I thought it was about to stall.

After the 10mins was up, Simon reckoned rev it to 5000rpm in neutral till it cuts out, key off, leave at least 10 secs, and restart.

Did all this, took it for a run, and it was fine! 😬 😬 😬 *thumbup* *idea*

It did cut out at one point as I stopped at a junction, I'm sure this was due to the tickover still being a bit odd, but it's not exactly the correct ECU, though it does seem to make the car run just as before apart from that one thing.

So, THANK YOU SIMON!!!!!!!!!!! *thumbup* YHM

Now I just need to work out why the indicators are dead!

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

What a total arse I am 😳

I took the car for another after dark run, and Franny the lovely navigatrix begged winningly to be allowed to accompany me, so graciously I allowed her to come.

I intelligently recalled that the indicator toggle switch was rather obviously hanging on its wires and not in its customary hole in the dash panel, so making my cunningly prepared cover story "Oh really officer? I had no idea they weren't working....they were ok when we left!" seem rather unlikely to be true.

So I put the switch back in to make it more believable.

Drove into a village which has some megagood curves on the approach, and as we approached the traffic lights I said to Fran "Bloody indicators are still kaput" while automatically flicking the switch when just to prove me wrong as usual the bloody indicator worked!

I give up.....I do believe the problem was actually that the switch was not properly tight, and I assume it needs a good earth through the dash panel to work properly! 😳

Now all I need to do is make the washers and wipers work again........no prob for an electronics/electrics genius of my calibre *tongue* (ok, I can see it's a wire off on the fusebox exit)

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬here *eek* *eek*

Edited by - Unclefester on 14 Jan 2007 00:04:59

I give up.....I do believe the problem was actually that the switch was not properly tight, and I assume it needs a good earth through the dash panel to work properly!
Earth not required for this switch.

Most likely problem is your hazard switch: either get a new one or turn it on & off a few hundred times. Current has to flow through this switch for hazards to work; contacts corrode as it's not used very often.

Second possible problem is a bad earth.

Third likely problem: make sure the flasher relay is making good contact. On mine I had to bend the pins slightly as it used to fall out.