Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed oil leak and other query

jono

Got my 6 speed box out of the car. It has always suffered an oil drip at the junction betwen the box and bellhousing.

I have separated the box from the bellhousing and there is evidenece of a considerable oil leak but I can't tell where it's coming from *confused*

What is likely to need doing to cure this?

Also I noted that the splined shaft coming out of the box has a considerable amount of lateral play (to my untrained eye) - is this normal and if not what is required to put it right?

Cheers all *thumbup*

I had a leak on the front seal of the box (5 Speed) but on mine the bellhousing joint held and the leak got onto the clutch plate, so I'm not sure just sealing the outside is the answer. On the 5 speed there should be a nosepiece seal which on mine had failed, so if the 6 is similar I'd get that replaced.

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

Early 6 speed boxes use a gasket between box & bell housing, I also use a smear of silicone on the gasket just to make sure. Later 6 speed boxes do not use a gasket. How can you tell? Later boxes have an O ring seal around the selecter (I think that's what it is ) which pokes forward at the top of the box.

It is the selector rod which pokes through the casing which is one of the places where oil can seep out. I would certainly use some sealant between bellhousing and gearbox case as belt and braces even if it does have the 'O' ring and it would be a good idea to replace the oil seal on the 1st motion shaft while the 'box is out as well. *thumbup*

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬