Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4-1 Competition Exhaust - K series

CageyH

4-1 Competition exhaust to fit a k series (the one with the long primaries exiting the body) with 5" non repackable silencer. It will need a polish to keep the polishers happy. The silencer has the heat guard fitted, which I have never removed.

Having just bought a 4-2-1 with a 7" silencer, it is time to move this on.

Ideal upgrade for anybody with a 4-1 with single pipe exit in the side skin (after you enlarge the hole).

Retails new from Caterham for £495 + vat.

I am now looking for £275.

Buyer to collect, or GONADS preferable.

Only dead fish go with the flow....

Edited by - CageyH on 21 Mar 2007 22:55:33

You will notice an increase in torque apparently. I have always had this exhaust, so can't comment on a 4-1 internal collector, but search in Tech Talk and look for other peoples comments.

You need to enlarge the exit hole in the side skin to fir four pipes through.

It will just bolt on in place after, using just the rear exhaust mount on the body.

This exhaust has no cat, so may liberate a couple of BHP, but is an ideal first upgrade.

It will release the benefit of additional tuning/upgrades such as larger throttle body and vernier pulleys etc.

Just uploading some pictures now.

Pictures here

Have not had a chance to clean the exhaust after my last blat.

I also included one showing it mounted on the car.

The bronze colour is evident, as I got sick of polishing the exhaust, and it going this colour again quickly!

Little Bob, I did this upgrade last year ie from 4-1 collector inside the body to long, individual primaries merging outside the body.

I've seen a marked improvement in the mid range 'go', and surprisingly the engine (1600 standard K ie 115bhp) revs higher according to the rev counter. I don't really understand how his could be, since the rev limiter should be the limiting factor in both cases, but it's certainly true. Whether these tanslate to more bhp/ lbft or not I couldn't say, but it's been a very worthwhile £500 investment in my view. Better sound too. Apparently with a bigger throttle body (not much £) the difference is even better.

I should say that fitting the thing is *largely* straightforward, I have a short passenger footwell (race chassis) car, with the battery relocated onto the top of the bulkhead, so that gave me plenty of fiddle room.

The major major PITA in installation is that if you don't have a template, you'll be trial-and-erroring cutting the side skin.

I must have fitted/ removed the primaries over 15 times before I got good clearance, I sh1t you not. Including when you think it all looks fine then you trial fit the collector and all the primaries twist out of position....then again when you fit and torque up the silencer.

Plus all the worry of cutting a very visible bit of your car - my personal survey of other people's zaust holes is that no two are anywhere near similar, so don't worry about doing it just right - if the primaries fit through without fouling the bodywork, allowing for some vibration and expansion with temp, then you're fine.

But if you can find someone else to do it for you, do!

Martin

Aero'd Roadsports B with a garage slowly filling up with upgrade parts

I'm surprised this hasnt sold cagey *confused*

its great value and would make a terrific upgrade for thoses K series owners with the 4-1 "inside engine bay" exhaust. The lift in mid range is noticable *biggrin*

Its simply a case of remove old 4-1 ( and sell it for £100 to the race boys), cut hole in body ( templates are freely available and new exhaust manifold gasket (£4?) and bolt him on *thumbup*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

*slap*

Back alert again, sorry your mail went in the spam folder (I must fix that).

Still interested but have been advised I should get a 4-2-1 ideally (rare to see them come up for sale) so I'm happy to stall while you get a better offer..

M.

Martin Saunders

ohh, is it upgrade time? :)

(edited to fix horrible grammer)

Edited by - MartinS on 7 Feb 2007 16:58:24