Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow dry sump pump and 22% quick rack rubbing

rgrigsby

I've just switched from the original "0%" rack to a 22% quick rack on my 92' Supersprint with a 1700 Xflow.

Now I have a problem where the steering column is rubbing on the dry sump pump. With the engine off there's around .5"'s of clearance but once it's running the steering column is rubbing against the dry sump pump pretty much all the time.

I've tried repositioning the rack to get better clearance but haven't managed it, just wondering if any one else out there has experienced something similar?

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

There are two possible adjustments -

You can insert a couple of washers between the engine mount and rubber either side of the engine to twist it slightly as suggested in the build manual.

Or you can rotate the steering rack slightly to raise or lower the steering column - don't overdo it or the steering becomes stiff.

Barry

Hi Grigs it's Graham here, Mine does this too, basically the column rubs against the top union, I've had an oil pipe split like this, I discovered at 10:30pm before setting off for Spa the next morning (Sunday). Luckily Chris W. sorted me out on a Sunday!. These days it still rubs but the now it's been set up to rub against the jubilee clip and not the rubber pipe.

It seems you have a choice a rubbing column or the carbs foul the bonnet. You'll find the pipe is a low pressure return pipe though and these days I always carry spare oil pipe to track days etc.

By the way I'm just about to stick my first set of ACB's on that I got for Mark Miller £60 delevired I take it he's your supplier too. He'll does part worn wets, 32R and 21Rs if your after road tyres!. The wets are a bit steeper as he says he has to pay a lot more for ones in decent nick, Still only about £45 though!, I wish I know about this before I bought my cut slicks from Polley!

We'll have some fun when I get the ACB's( if my axle doesn't drop off! ), Of course we're not racing Mark!

Graham

P.S I'll be taking off some decent 32's. If you want some cheapie road tyres drop me a line to groutledge@rocketmail.com if your interested I can leave them at the 7 workshop.