Click here if you are having website access problems ×

v6 engines

jc

Think of it like a drumming beat, but superimposed over 720 degrees of crank rotation rather than a bar of music.

Usually the spacings between the big ends (as an angle) determine the gap between each "Bang".

A (45 degree V twin) Harley has one of the most distinctive noises, the "Potato...Potato" sound being due to a big gap with no noise (675Degrees I think) followed by two Bangs within 45 degrees.

The big gap between power pulses helps the back tyre regain traction between bangs which has made such an unlikely racer still competetive in a sport where traction is everything (US Flat track).

Bang.Bang.........................Bang.Bang...................

The four cylinder engines most of us use have equally spaced firing which gives a smooth (four beats to the bar) sound.

Bang...Bang...Bang...Bang...Bang...Bang...Bang...Bang...

A 45 degree V8 has a combination of the above with two drummers doing four beats to the bar but 45 degrees apart (or 45/720 of a bar out of time).

And is ,of course, music to our ears.smile.gif

On bikes, where traction is so critical given the tiny rear contact patch, "Big Bang engines" have dominated two stroke 500GP racing since 1990ish. The engineers found that by timing the sparks so all four power strokes happen within 90 degrees the big time without force to the rear tyre helped conserve tyres and made it simpler to control traction. They got the power of a four with the tyre friendly pulses of a twin. These sound very oddconfused.gif

Mark

Absolutely rightthumbsup.gif The flat TVR sounds bloody awfulbiggrin.gif Even worse when you drive one.

Now, listen to a 427 hemi and you are talking (watched Bullitt the other night)cool.gif

Steve B

Its all maths! A car is a musical instrument. Most piched sounds are made of fundamentals(the root frequency)and harmonics which are related to the fundamental in a regular mathmatical series stretching upward in frequency.

I belive an engine will produce a fundamental determined by its RPM and the number of firings per rev. The firing order and number of cylinders produce repeatable intermodulation of the fundamental, producing a characteristic pattern of harmonics, hence Fours, V6's have similar characters. The combustion pressure pulses, coming from the cylinders also interact with the cylinder volume, the exhaust and any other volumes they may be connected to. This produces a further large variation in the spectrum of harmonics which lend character to sound, which is why engines, even of similar configuration all sound different.

Formula One teams record eachother's engine notes and work out what they can rev to by working out the fundamental of the engine note.

Elie,

Absolutely correctblush.gif, I was confusing the other (nominal) 7 liter of the time - the Ford as in Mustang and Cobra.

426 cid = 6980.889 cc

427 cid = 6997.276 cc

BRMquestion.gif Have you heard the Into The Red CD which accompanies the book of the same name? I play it in the workshop (flat out) teeth.gif. Neighbours look very worriedconfused.gif

Steve B

SJWB

The BRM on that cd is the V16 rather than the H16, but both sound even better in the flesh!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes being of a certain age does have benefits as I been around long enough to hear both in their hey-day, although the V16 was being driven by J.Y.Stewart rather than by Gonzalez! But then, come to that I saw Gonzalez drive the V16 at Goodwood a few years back but that doesn't count, does it?

Andrew

Another odd sounding engine is the Scoobie doo impreza. A flat four engine but with the turbo on one side. The primary pipes from the drivers side are short but those from the passenger side are much longer. Apparently at certain revs the pulses all arrive at the turbo together leading to a very odd flat sounding engine. Doesn't seem to affect it though, it still goes bl**dy quick.

Elie,

I was in fact refering to the Dodge Charger cool.gif wot the baddies drove for the sound, even though I got the displacement wrongblush.gif. I reckon the hemi was more mellifluous. And yes, you are correct about the GT40 bit.

Here's one for you old ones - Triumph Daytona Three, as in Mike Hailwood (memorial run today), Percy Tait etc.

Steve B