Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tonneau Covers

luddites7

I have just order a tonneau cover and it has arrived with no fitting instructions just a bag of fastner bits and the cover its self. Has anyone got any useful advice for making the fitting of the cover easier and what problems should I look for.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Jason

Hello, you poor sod, I feel sorry for you, I did this recently, theres a multitude of threads on the site regarding this..

Anyway back to the point, I've got the fitting instructions at home, (they come in the build manual), if you email me your fax number I'll fax them over tomorrow.

PS, things to watch out for:

1 Check that you either have (already fitted) or in the kit the double poppers for the boot cover by the roll bar, I didn't but Caterham sent me the (FOC!) within 24 hrs.

2 Use loads of masking tape round the holes you need to drill, I used a 5/32nds drill bit ( as recommended by Caterham ) and their pop rivits they sent - however my rivit gun thing didn't appear to like them and left the stem on one. the 4mm pop rivits obviously don't go through the hole. I'd probably use 4mm if I did it again.

3 Get hold of a magnet, check where the chassis tube is on the bit by the rear wheel arch, I drilled a hole through it both sides when I did mine (following the measurements) but I'm sure you shouldn't (I can feel iminent rust problems coming on (I also filled all the holes with a bit (and I mean a tiny bit) of silicone? not sure if it will do any good however.

4 Remember to by a good quality British (not german) popper fitter / hole maker teeth.gif.

Just as another note, I.m refitting all the poppers on the tonneau tonight, I will eventually get this right and it will stop coming off as the poppers fail.

Good Luck

Buda

I've also recently done this - although I was only replacing the old tonneau with a new one to suit an FIA bar so I didn't have to make any more holes in the car. The lack of instructions are bloody stupid...

I got a lot of help from this site so there should be a fairly recent thread on it. The most important bit for me was being told that there is a special tool that Caterham provide to stamp the poppers into place on the tonneau - and it doesn't come as part of the bits they send you. mad.gif

Good luck with it!

Bob Stark

Supersprint first-timer